Wednesday, January 13, 2010

First Time..... Hmmmmm

About 3 months ago I started a Whole Wheat Levain in my kitchen.... a sourdough starter.... with high hopes of crusty bread with a fluffy center. Soon after began all our unplanned events that set it aside for a short time. So it sat in the fridge, waiting to be used.
Well, we got a hankering for some sourdough bread and decided to get it out and going again. We were so excited. We are NEW to Sourdough and started off following the directions to the letter. No way were we going to screw this up!!

And it came out looking sooooooo good, I thought, "This is going to be divine!!!!"

While I was spending half the day folding, kneading, shaping, slashing and baking I was also on FB with my Guru bread artist and "adopted sister", Trish. Asking her all sorts of sourdough questions, I soon realized that this would be a long lesson to learn, and we already learned so much from her that day!

Although our bread came out looking pretty, there was no air to be found in the dense whole wheat loaf. The flavor had maybe a hint of sour to it, but nothing to smile about. The kids loved it though!!!

And so, applying what we have learned from Trish, we are giving our Levain time to produce what it needs to without any interruptions from us. Hopefully next time we will have pretty and tasty loaves to share!!!

2 comments:

***LIZ*** said...

Beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

It does look beautiful. Good luck perfecting it. I'll look forward to a recipe with detailed instructions soon. :)

Blog Archive

Followers

Crafty Blog!!!!

Vote For A Cure

Photobucket

Help Fight Breast Cancer by Clicking!!

The Breast Cancer Site

 

Our Forever Family | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates