Thursday, January 07, 2010

An Alabama Winter Wonderland

In the (nearly) 4 years that we have been here it has snowed enough times to count on one hand. But each time it does, it is like a magical day for my kids. The school shuts down. Daddy comes home from work. And Mom makes Hot Cocoa!
What a magical time. While the kids were busy in their 4 hours of reading, writing & arithmetic, I was at home making bread and contemplating the white flurries encircling my house. And the birds were busy enjoying the feast I had laid out for them.

The snow has come. It is still coming. It has been coming since I took the kids to the bus stop this morning. It is calming down a bit, which means we are not having school tomorrow due to the ice that the melting snow will create on the roads. We will have a 3-day weekend!!
What a magical thing snow is. Mystical in it's own way. One of God's beautiful ways of bringing moisture to the Earth while it is sleeping in the coldness. Some things are still alive when it falls. Others are just peaking through, trying to see if Spring is coming yet.
My kids called it a Winter Wonderland in our front yard. It is no snowstorm compared to many others who are getting several inches or feet even. But it is our snowstorm. And we are enjoying it while it lasts!

7 comments:

danakat said...

Beautiful pictures!

Natalie said...

These are fun and beautiful pictures of your Winter Wonderland. How fun for the kids.

shari said...

Beautiful pictures. I love your perspectives. Don't you just love the red cardinals against the white snow?

Karen said...

Ahhhh. 3 day weekend. Fun shots. You are brave to get out there. I am staying inside.

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of the berries in the snow and nuts? with the ice crystals!

Becki said...

Beautiful cardinal! We have one that visits our backyard too. I love them. You got some great ones! I love the snow, but I have to admit...I'm ready for it to warm up!

Wendyrful said...

What fun pic's! I love the birds! and yes the kids think it's fabulous! I like that I got to sleep in an extra day... ;-)

Blog Archive

Followers

Crafty Blog!!!!

Vote For A Cure

Photobucket

Help Fight Breast Cancer by Clicking!!

The Breast Cancer Site

 

Our Forever Family | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates