Friday, July 24, 2009

East Coast Family (Part 3)~ DC Monuments at Night

We arrived in DC just as the sun was setting. We planned our route around the monuments, staking out the best ones to see at twilight. But on our way, we had to take advantage of the setting sun in all it's brilliance.










Sure enough, as the sun set a little more, the fireflies came out to join us.





And then we spotted our first stop... Lincoln Memorial. I have been waiting a long time to see this. I don't know why really. Just one of those things on our list of things to do in this lifetime.






Directly across from the Lincoln Memorial is the Washington Monument and the Capitol Building.




Despite the crowd, I couldn't help but feel a complete reverence at moments. There were seconds when the crowd would disperse from where I we were standing and I could just feel the awesomeness that was around me.





I loved that inside across on either side were Lincoln's greatest speeches.


It was even more awesome so see my son standing there below them reading them. I think he grasped the significance of it right then and there.



When we stepped outside we had to wait for a raincloud to do it's thing, then proceed onward. In that time, the sun set a little more.



Playing around with one tripod, two cameras, two big flashes and one remote... We got to capture the fact that we were all there at the same time. It was fun.

Shawn decided to keep clicking on the remote as we ran up to save our cameras in the crowd of waiting people.


We continued or walk around the monuments and played with our camera at night.


I think this was the WW2 Memorial. I could be wrong, and I apologize. The specifics leave so quickly. We had to capture our favorite Statehood titles!





The brilliant fountain in the center was awesome!! I loved it!



(Aunt Hilary had a hard time figuring out the little, yet significant differences in our two cameras. We were running out of kid energy and enthusiasm as late as it was, so we retired the family portrait until another time. But I thought the one of our family in front of ALABAMA was a pretty neat effort! Thanks, Aunt Hilary!!)



After a long walk and getting back to the car at 11pm, we decided that I and the three kids would stay in the car while Shawn, Hilary and Mike went and saw Jefferson's Monument.



Hopefully I will get another opportunity to see it some time soon.





The Monuments at night was by far one of my favorite events on this trip. What a breathtaking walk in our Nation's Capitol.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never been to DC. I love looking at the pics of all the neat things y'all saw! How fun!

Natalie said...

I have loved looking at all of your trip pictures so far. They are beautiful! How fun to do the tripod and have a remote so you can get everyone, great memories!

Melissa said...

What a fun trip to DC! I loved it when I went in Jr. High. I hope to be able to go back someday and see it again, Things like the WW2 memorial weren't there when I went like 15 years ago. It's a very cool place to go. Looks like you guys had a blast!

Blog Archive

Followers

Crafty Blog!!!!

Vote For A Cure

Photobucket

Help Fight Breast Cancer by Clicking!!

The Breast Cancer Site

 

Our Forever Family | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates