Wednesday, July 15, 2009

East Coast Family (Part 1)~ Gettysburg

We made it back! I didn't realize how many pictures I took over the 2 week period we were gone though!! Phew! I think Shawn said it was somewhere around 1500. Which means I had to edit them before blogging. I am still not done, but thought I should get the first part in for now!

We drove up to Virginia at the end of June to visit Aunt Hilary and Uncle Mike. We were looking forward to visiting them for a LONG time. The first whole day we were there we decided to drive over to Pennsylvania to visit Gettysburg. What a place! Upon arriving, we decided to take the Auto Tour of the famous battlegrounds.








We got to get out a few times to look around and see the field and monuments.





Prior to returning to the car Zach asked some questions about the reason we were there, and what everything around us was about. He was in deep question about everything that happened here. As were we all.

During part of our travels, the girls decided to duke it out... This happened many times during our trips together, as they were forced to sit right next to each other for extended periods of time. I am reminded of how grateful I am for separate seats on 14-hour drives!!!!!

But the girls were not entirely to blame!! You see, Uncle Mike and Aunt Hilary confessed to being little less than good influences to them on our drive!

A stopping point in the middle for lunch was the parking lot to a lookout tower. A tower that I avoided climbing due to my incredible fear of heights. I was sooner joined by Skylah, Ranoah and Aunt Hilary because the girls didn't like the heights too well either.


The view, from Shawn and the camera was spectacular.

Big Round Top and Little Round Top. Two places of historical significance and importance. The Union Army held here. But we will get to those after the funny, big dog we saw in the window of the RV parked right next to our lunch spot. It added a laugh for us!

Moving onward we saw many more monuments. Since we claim Alabama as our home, we thought it prudent to get a picture of the incredible statue for Alabama.

On to hike Little Round Top. If any of you have studied the Civil War battles, or just enjoy movies like Gettysburg and Gods and Generals, this one should stand out to you.



Along the trail were still more monuments. But the one with the name of Colonel Chamberlain was what we were looking for. And we found it. Along with a stone wall which marks the position his tired, few, and some unarmed soldiers held to the end.

Can you imagine holding off these slopes from oncoming Southern troops?!









The trail was amazing. After we hiked Little Round Top we drove to Big Round top where everyone, but me and my sore ankle, got out and looked over the view. What an amazing place. Full of history and reverence.

2 comments:

Hilary said...

O M G!!! The same thing happened to us!!! :) We had fun with you guys!

Trish said...

Wow! Love all of the pictures! I know what you mean about the many photos. From our 23 day road trip, I took nearly 10,000. 1500 from a single day in Yellowstone, and 750 from a single day in Nauvoo.

So, who was Chamberlain?

Blog Archive

Followers

Crafty Blog!!!!

Vote For A Cure

Photobucket

Help Fight Breast Cancer by Clicking!!

The Breast Cancer Site

 

Our Forever Family | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates