Thursday, May 07, 2009

Close to Home

"Our family is extremely blessed" were some of the last words my husband spoke last night before we fell asleep. How true it is. It has been for so long.



Yesterday storms swept across this beautiful city. In these storms formed a few tornadoes. One of which decided it's path was along the back of our house. More specifically starting at the main road a couple miles from our house, cutting across several road and getting to our backyard (and the houses on either side of us' backyards as well), continuing on knocking down trees 3 feet wide across the main road on the other side of our house.

I don't know where it started exactly, or where it ended. Some people asked me if I saw it? No, I was with my daughter in her bedroom closet, holding on to her in hopes that we would be fine. It was the calmest I have ever been, strangely enough. But afterwards as different.
I took me a while to realize what had happened. I have never seen or heard a tornado, until then. My neighbor who came out to see if everyone was okay assured me, that was indeed a tornado.


Storm chasers came up to our house in their cars. One got out to take pics and talk to us to see if we were alright.

The power was out and I had the dogs and Skylah in the house. I didn't want anyone getting out, so I took Sylah next door to play with the kids there while I examined and took pictures of it all.
It occurred to me how close it was. And had it been stronger than the F-0/F-1 they think it may have been, what else would it have done besides tear down some fences, puncture a garage door on the house behind us, and knock down some trees? No one was hurt. A woman was in her car when a tree fell on her while she was driving. Amazingly enough, she is okay, too.
Following the pictures, I was finally able o get in touch with Shawn at work, who had been in the basement there. He had no idea I was trying to contact him on my cell. Or that there had been a tornado at our house.
He rushed home. When he pulled in, walked over our neighbor's fence on the ground to go and embrace him. I was so happy to see him. I think the shock was setting in.


Our house is undamaged. Our family is healthy and unharmed. To top it off, our entire Young Men's group, bishopric and several other Priesthood holders came to our home and brought their chainsaws, gloves, and smiling hardworking souls with them. Eventually some neighbors came to join in as well. They all spent two hours clearing trees. Going back and forth, hauling the heavy limbs and stumps. And all I had in the end for them was some drinks and cookies and several Thank You's.
Words cannot express how we feel right now. I expressed to our children before they left for school this morning that this was not a tragedy. It was a blessing. A blessing I will not soon forget, if ever.



This is what is sitting in front of our homes. And there is much more. But, so much has been done. So much. Thank you to everyone who gave up time with their husbands and sons so they could come work. We are grateful!!

12 comments:

kg said...

SO glad your family and your house are OK! Isn't this just crazy! Do you have a wood burning fire place :)

Karen said...

So thankful that you are OK. When I first heard where you were my concern and thought. So glad you are safe.

Shanda said...

Wow! That is all I can say! That is so scary but I am glad that everyone is ok!

***LIZ*** said...

I'm so glad you are all okay! I can't imagine such crazy weather.

Stella said...

OK, I just think you were blowing a bunch of "hot air" and that is what blew the trees down. Anyone want to second that?

C'mon, swine flu, and now tornados???

You were just attention starved, admit it!

Don't worry Hope, we all love you so much, and next time you need a little affirmation, please don't knock any trees over. That is really mean!!!

LOL

We are so glad that everyone is OK! Love you, and we are so grateful you have so many wonderful people watching over you!

Quincy Sorensen said...

Wow! I am so glad you took pictures to capture all that happened. You guys show a wonderful spirit of gratitude.

Anonymous said...

Glad that y'all are ok and thank you for your wonderful spirit of gratitude! I drove by today and saw some of the damage. Lots of trees, but amazed at one persons yard and home. Stuff all over and knocked down. I am sure they feel blessed as well for getting out unscathed.

Melissa said...

Wow, that is scary!! I'm so glad you and your family were protected and that the damage wasn't too horrible!! What a wonderful blessing!!!! :)

steveandamybrossard said...

I am so glad no one was hurt and your home was undamaged? I can't help but wonder what blessings we truly get from paying tithing. We are promised we will not be burned prior to his coming if we pay our tithing, what about tornado struck?
I am glad you feel peaceful. What an eventful time to be alive!

Becki said...

Wow...you are very blessed. I'm glad no one was hurt and what a blessing that your house wasn't damaged too! Just on of those extra little blessings huh? Serously..that's incredible.

Hilary said...

So glad everyone is okay! Good thing you only had one child home with you.

I remember my first tornado scare last summer. It didn't come as close as that one did, but it was scary, and I had no idea what to do. Plus, Mike was at home in our 4th floor apartment, not the best place to be during a tornado.

Glad you're all okay.
Love you!

Lisa said...

WOW!! I would have been so scared and I admit I was VERY glad that we were in AZ when this all happened. I am glad everyone is okay! What a story you have!!

Blog Archive

Followers

Crafty Blog!!!!

Vote For A Cure

Photobucket

Help Fight Breast Cancer by Clicking!!

The Breast Cancer Site

 

Our Forever Family | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates