Sweet Life Surrendered
Death in my family was something I became familiar with at an early age. My paternal grandfather I had never met because he passed away when my dad was 17. My grandmothers passed on when I was younger (between ages 4-6, I believe). My last grandparent, my maternal grandfather passed on in 1991, when I was almost 11. Since then I have also experienced other close ones passing on.
As you can probably guess I didn't even meet my great grandparents. I was born into an older generation family.
When I got married to my sweet husband, my heart was filled with joy when I realized I had 4 new grandparents! They immediately took me into their hearts as their own. How wonderful it felt again.
About 2 years into our marriage, I realized Shawn had never experienced a close death like a grandparent. Although, he knew and loved his great-grandparents and was old enough to remember their passing. He and I have both been enjoying the occasional visit with his grandparents... our children's' great-grandparents. Who have been able to do so much with them and us. We have been ever-so-grateful for this opportunity.
Well, during our road trip last summer to Oregon for my brother's wedding, we were able to visit with one set of grandparents. Shawn knew it was his chance to say good-bye to Grandma and our children's' chance to make a final memory with her... laughing, playing, having cake and ice cream. It was a good memory.
Shawn just came back from a 5-day visit, spending almost every minute at his grandmother's side, along with all of her children (including Shawn's mom), waiting and comforting. She passed away quite peacefully yesterday at 4am. Many of her loved ones around her.
Because of the grief I have been dealing with lately with the passing of my own mother I thought I would be more sad. I loved Grandma Moore. She had a smile that would make anyone come out of their dark corner.
Her passing has made me ponder just how sweet life is and how peaceful one feels when crossing over. I was not at my mom's side when she passed, as I had thought I would be. Instead we were racing time trying to get to her side from the Oregon roads. I was angry that I was not at her side.
I have been comforted in this recent passing though in knowing that my last memory of my mom is of me telling her good-bye. The kids and I were over at my parents' home spending a few minutes there before leaving for our road trip. When it was time to go, we all gave her a big hug and said our good-byes.
I would not have it any other way. I remember her warmth... her smile... her voice... all the things that were not there when she passed. I am grateful for this.
We will miss Great Grandma Moore. But we know she is watching over us all now... along with many other loved ones!!







6 comments:
What a beautiful post! It's important to remember the good/positive moments of loved ones who have passed.
Sweet post. Glad you got to say good-bye.
That was beautiful Hope. I will have to make Nathan read this. Thank you.
Remarkably put. I also love the picture. It's like a window from heaven, the clouds parting to make the view a little clearer.
Sure do love you. Sure do love your Mom. Sure am glad you got the opportunity to know Shawn's grandparents as your own. What a blessing!
Enjoyed your sweet post and the pretty picture! Glad y'all were able to make those memories with her and say "good-bye".
That was really beautiful! Thank you for sharing those thoughts. Lovely picture to go with the post! ((HUGS)) to your whole family
Post a Comment