Tuesday, December 30, 2008

New Year's Resolution??

What is it in the human heart that causes the need to resolve any unresolved matter on January 1st? Why is it that as we approach the end of one year we find ourselves making lists of things we know we will be much better at doing than the year we are presently in. A year, which many are repeatedly grateful is over and that a new one approaches.

Will it really be easier to lose 10, 15, 20 pounds at the turn of the year?? Are our groceries really going to be that much easier to budget once January 1st rolls around.... again???

I find myself doing the same thing. I make goals for myself more and more as I approach the changing of the calendars. I even go back and read in my journals where I recorded one year prior my goals... usually leaving myself feeling a little guilty... before I turn to write my newest resolution page.

I challenge all of you New Year's Resolution making inclined people out there to make one small change this time around.... MAKE ATTAINABLE GOALS!!! Don't we ourselves (most of us anyhow) tell our children, friends, colleagues, etc. to "just relax". Take it one step at a time. I find myself (only recently) making smaller goals and actually being able to achieve them (on one level or another ;)).

So, instead of saying, "I want to lose 30 pounds this year"... say, "I will exercise 3 x a week" or "I will eat more fruit each day". Or maybe, "I will read 10 books this year!!", say "I will read for 15 minutes each day". Whatever... just try to simplify it a bit.

This may be overstating it, but I think I speak for many when I say that we have a big goal in common of 'living eternally with our Father in Heaven and Savior, Jesus Christ'. Does that mean that since we are not in heaven by the end of the year we have failed??? I think not. But are we doing what it takes? Reading the written word? Obeying the given commandments?

When we do those things, we are taking he necessary steps to obtain and reach the higher goal.

Just something on my mind lately.... I hope each of yours' is a Happy New Year!!!

4 comments:

danakat said...

Thanks Hope!
And you are so right.
Love you.

shari said...

Thank you for the reminder Hope. Just curious what Photography book are you reading? Do you like it?

Trish said...

My goal is simple:

Scatter Sunshine.

That's it. Easy.

Oh, and Moonlight Sonata came on when I got to the blog. For years that has been the one last strand of piano playing that I could still remember how to play. I can only remember the first half now. I should resolve to pick piano back up, I guess.

Hilary said...

I agree!
Baby steps, as they say. It's so easy to want to get to the ideal point so quickly, but the fact is, things take time. Habits take time to break. And setting yourself up for failure won't help you reach those goals. A litle taste of success is important to reaching goals.

But, I think it's also important to dream BIG!!!! :)

Blog Archive

Followers

Crafty Blog!!!!

Vote For A Cure

Photobucket

Help Fight Breast Cancer by Clicking!!

The Breast Cancer Site

 

Our Forever Family | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates