Saturday, December 27, 2008

Christmas in a Flash!!!

One of my Christmas goodies from my sweet hubby was an auxiliary flash for my camera. For those of you who don't know, this makes me very happy!!! I was thrilled to get this item in my stocking this year!!!
But, this item is very intimidating compared to the little pop-up flash on my camera. So, I had to play with it a bit...


It may not look very different to some of you, but I was amazed at the difference putting the diffuser on, or bouncing the flash had on the photos inside the house.


In case you are wondering, my guinea pig's attention is focused on the movie of the hour... Enchanted. The girls were tied to the screen when I popped this one in, among all the Christmas DVDs they got. What can I say? It was a lazy day exploring my new flash!!

I guess I should post a few Christmas pics as well...

Not sure he meant to do this, but it was a great photo-op. Believe it or not, especially from his wonderful smile, he was so excited about Christmas to begin!!

Zach's gift from Santa! (The table under it was his homemade gift from Shawn and myself... a lego workbench.)

I had so much fun making the tu-tus and wands for the girls to play dress-up in.

Grandma was pleasantly surprised this year. She especially loved her Precious Moments gifts from Shawn's brother and his wife.

Keeping Christmas simple is never simple. But it is so worth it. We use to go crazy spending money on each other and just trying to outdo one another, and every one else on the block. The past two years, after seeing all the Christmas goodies sprawled on the floor hours after opening them, only to see the kids fighting over something prior to these Christmas', have been well worth the planning and work.

Shawn and I started the 3-gift rule. To go along with the three gifts the wisemen presented to Jesus Christ in honor of His arrival, we try to focus on three gifts for our kids each year. One of education; one from Santa; and one made with our own hands. Making the gifts has always been easier than thinking of what to make them, but always fun in the end. Last year and this year were wonderful. Opening presents for an hour or so, then spending the rest of the day in observance of the joy brought to each other from the thought that went into it; listening to and watching the kids enjoy the gifts they received. It has been such a joy.

(And, yes, they also enjoy the wonderful gifts so lovingly given to them by family and friends as well.)

We hope every one's Christmas was full of joy and love and that your New Year comes in just as full, if not, more so.

5 comments:

Hilary said...

Looks like fun!!! Let me know how you like the flash. We've been wanting one for a while, would like to know your input.

danakat said...

Cute! I just got the connection between your post and the title. Very clever, Hope. :)

Glad you had a lovely Christmas. I was thinking of you.
And I love the 3-gifts. Wonderful way to keep the proper spirit.

shari said...

I love the 3 gift Idea. Did you learn about the diffuser and auxillary flash from your photog class? Did you use a reflector?

Bama Holcomb Family said...

Thanks, Dana and Shari. It has been a fun and wonderful idea to implement in our home.

Shari, They didn't talk too much about auxil or diffusers, but they emphasized the niceness of having both. And my photography books mention auxil light usage a lot. Bouncing the light can make a huge difference indoors. It really softens things a bit.

Kendra@My Insanity said...

I really like your 3-gift rule. Thanks for the inspiration! Happy New Year!

Blog Archive

Followers

Crafty Blog!!!!

Vote For A Cure

Photobucket

Help Fight Breast Cancer by Clicking!!

The Breast Cancer Site

 

Our Forever Family | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates