Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Whole Wheat Wednesday

Ha!! You didn't think I would forget, did you??

Okay, so I did, but I remembered before midnight. You gotta give me credit for that.

Anyhoo... Did you know it is very possible to make hearty, fluffy whole wheat pancakes? Or light, crispy Whole Wheat Waffles??? Well, it is.

And here is one of those recipes...

Heart Healthy Whole Wheat Pancakes

~1 Cup Oats (finely ground in blender)
~1 Cup Wheat Flour (You can use whole wheat flour or SWWF)
~1/2 tsp salt
~2 TBSP Brown Sugar (Tip... When switching to Wheat, Brown Sugar really does taste better for the most part.)
~4 tsp Rumfords Baking Powder (I prefer this brand because it has no aluminum. However any will work fine.)
~1/4 Cup Wheat Germ
~1/4 Cup Milled Flax seed
~1/2 tsp Cinnamon
~Dash of Nutmeg and/or ginger
~2 Eggs (You can use substitute as well, equivalent to 2 eggs.)
~2 Cups Milk (Here's where it is tricky... add 1 1/2 Cups to start. That way I can just add a little more at a time if it is too thick.)
~2 TBSP -heaping- Applesauce

**Mix together dry ingredients. Add liquids, then stir. This helps keep the Baking Powder inactive till the last moment of stirring so you don't beat it and release all the air. If it is too thick, add more milk. If too thin, add some flour. Let sit a few minutes. Pour onto hot griddle. These don't bubble like normal pancakes, so you just watch the edges to see when they start to appear dry. Flip. Cook till bouncy to touch on top, or brown appears on bottom edges. Serve with favorite pancake toppings.

***Kids approve these. I quote, "Mom, these are the best pancakes EVER!!"***

**Hearty... I usually only eat two 3-4 inch pancakes and I am good till lunch!**

These pancakes may look like they have a lot of ingredients, but if you already have the whole grains lying around, and you are used to it,you can slap these together in 15 minutes. Easy Peasy!!! You don't HAVE to use the wheat germ or flax seed either, but they make these so much heartier and so much more beneficial to your body. The spices really help add to the wonderful mild nuttiness of the grains. I make these and put the leftovers in a Ziplock and toast them the next morning for breakfast as well.

Healthy & Happy Eating!!!

PS~ I will get the waffle recipe out to you soon.

4 comments:

danakat said...

How do you find time for such yummy breakfasts? What time do you get up? And can I just come to your house in the mornings?

Trish said...

Those sound great! I will have to give them a whip-up!

I'm a rumford girl all the way!! No Clabber Girl. NO! :) (http://kobialkafamily.blogspot.com/2008/05/dear-clabber-girl.html)

Quincy Sorensen said...

Oh, Hope! These sound delicious. Now I just have to print the recipe . . . thank you!

Lisha said...

I am very excited about Whole Wheat Wednesday! Now I just need to try this recipe!

Blog Archive

Followers

Crafty Blog!!!!

Vote For A Cure

Photobucket

Help Fight Breast Cancer by Clicking!!

The Breast Cancer Site

 

Our Forever Family | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates