Whole Wheat Wednesday (Returns)
This was fun. I missed it. So, it's back...
First thing this morning, I used up the rest of my Soft White Wheat Flour (known hereafter as SWWF) to make some yummy goodness!!! Donut Muffins. Sounds yummy?? Oh, they are so good!! I found them at Hillbilly Housewife, one of my all-time favorite recipe sites! She is the queen of frugality. The only thing I did differently is swap put the all purpose flour for my SWWF. So Yummy!! My kids completely agreed. (Click above on "Donut Muffins" for the recipe and "Hillbilly Housewife" for the main site.) And so easy to make!!
And, once again, my easy-peasy Whole Wheat Bread recipe. (Previously mentioned in comments recenlty, as well as requested again. So, write it down, and try it out. You will be so glad you did!!)
First off, you need a Kitchen Aid (or comparable) mixer with dough hook, and whole wheat flour to really make this work. If you don't grind your own flour, the best substitute, found at Kroger and other stores, is King Arthur Whole Wheat Flour.
UPDATE~ SWWF is soft white wheat flour. Whole Wheat Flour is hard red wheat. (In my pantry anyways.)
5 Cups Hot Tap Water
2/3 Cup Honey
2/3 Cup Oil (I use applesauce in place of this, and toss in a tablespoon of oil for good measure!)
4 tsp Salt (I have used 3 and it still tasted good, but any less starts to make it bland.)
* Mix these together in mixer.
10 Cups Whole Wheat Flour (divided... 6 & 4 cups)
* Mix in 6 cups flour.
2 TBSP Instant Yeast
* Add Yeast and just mix it in.
* Add remaining 4 cups flour. Mix on high speed for 12 minutes. Preheat oven to 250 degrees while it kneads.
* When done kneading, scrape into 3 lightly greased bread pans (if you use the 3x7 pans instead of 4x8 you can get 4 loaves). Place in preheated oven. TURN OVEN OFF. Set timer for 20 minutes.
* From this time forward, DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR until the bread is done baking.
* When 20 minutes is done, turn oven back on to 350 degrees and set timer for 35-40 minutes. When timer is done, so is your bread!
* Let bread rest in pans for about 10 minutes. Lightly brush butter or shortening on warm crust to make it nice and soft. Place loaves in gallon ziplocks while warm, but leave open till cool. Zip up and freeze for further use!
This is tasty, soft bread that is quick and easy, and so good for you. You can replace 1 cup of your flour with 1/2 cup wheat germ and 1/2 cup milled flax seed for good measure, and play around a bit. Throw some oats in once in awhile. I haven't bought bread (except in emergency cases ;)) for 5 years now. Love it!!!
Mine just came out of the oven, so I better get going. Have fun baking!!!






10 comments:
That sure looks good.
Donut Muffins.....yeah, I think we're going to have to try those! LOL
I appreciate the recipes, but the song off the Sister Act 2 soundtrack just made my entire day! I have just sat here and I sang and sang and remembered EVERY WORD and EVERY RAP. Scary, but I listened to that soundtrack and watched that movie so many times I wore them out. Now I'm heading off to Netflix and iTunes. Oh Happy Day...which is another totally awesome song on it too, by the way.
Thanks, Hope! This was great fun. Although my kids think I'm kindof weird right now. :)
Thanks, Dana!! I was trying to remember the name of the other song from SA2 that I wanted to add to my playlist!!
You're fast. :)
Thanks for another great song to sing out loud to and make my family wonder what just happened to Mommy. :)
YAY!!!! WW Wednesday is back! :) I've missed it so....
Question: Do you ONLY use white wheat? I've only ever used hard red wheat and I was wanting to try white. Just wondering what your opinion is on the subject.
And I don't know how I managed to miss those donut muffins on HH. I KNOW my kids will love those!
Hey, Jen. No, to clarify, I use both Hard Red and Soft White. There is also Gold and Hard White. I want to start using some Hard White when I can get my hands on it.
I use SWW in pancakes, cupcakes, eclaires, muffins, some cookies. I refer to Hard Red as Whole Wheat Flour. When I get some Hard White, I hope to use it in direct substitute for All Purpose in most recipes. I have heard I should be able to do this, without making the small adjustments that are needed for Whole Wheat.
Hope, can i just say that you lift my day everytime I read your blog. You are so imspirational. i love your camera too.
Thanks, Hope! :)
YAY! WWW is back. I love it. I wish you were here to show me the ropes though Hope. I need to get a wheat grinder.
Post a Comment