Frugal Tip

Can you guess???
It is Cold and Flu Season. (No, that is not the tip.) I learned this from a friend and have had the opportunity to do it here at home. Mary Poppins had it right the whole time!!
Administer one-half spoonful of honey to your loved one who is coughing. It coats the throat and soothes the airway. No joke. My family and friends know that when I was little I always had a barking cough when I got sick, which was frequently. Well, my kids get the same cough unfortunately.
However, this season, I have not given a single serving of yucky cough syrup to anyone!! Just honey in the morning and honey in the evening before bed. This, along with Vitamin C and some Echinacea have reduced Zach's horse cough to a mildly productive cleansing cough. It has been so nice not to have to give that horrid red or purple stuff!!!
So, pull out that wonderful Honey jar and watch that cough go away!! (I do know a couple friends on whom this hasn't worked due to rapid and abundant coughing, causing the child to throw it back up, so make sure your child isn't having a coughing fit when you give him/her this!!)






10 comments:
I have heard (and experienced) that local honey works best though as the bees collect the pollens from the area you live in and then you slowly build up immunities naturally. It is wonderful isn't it. Also cinnamon is great for helping with allergies!
My kids get that same cough. I'm totally trying this at the first sign of hoarse barking!
If you add biscuits, do you get added health benefits?
I knew about the local honey fr allergies, but haven't found a local source yet. So, Jenni if you know of any PLEASE let me know.
I will remember the cinammon. What better than a spoonful of honey, than a spoonful of honey and cinnammon?!?!
I am sure the buscuit would be lovely, Dana, but in order to help the throat you may want to do it seperately as well!!
I did this with Bria when she was sick last week and it worked! They mentioned on the radio that there have been findings that cough syrup for children is bad and that honey works well. Also, there was a place off of Gooch Dr. that sold honey. Not sure if they still do, but it's worth the drive to find out! They had a sign out front.
Okay, I have to try this one.
Josh's colds always to straight to his lungs and he coughs for days, often leading to waking up at night with dry throat and dry heaves. THANKS HOPE!
You can get local honey at a house on Gooch between Hughes and Wall Triana OR at the Farmers Market on Saturdays near downtown. Occasionally Isom's or the next little farmers stand carries it and sometimes Apple Lane Farms by Walmart. Haven't checked in awhile - I will say though that I get a fresh jar every fall so that I can get the pollens that are "new" - does that make sense? So I do make sure to ask what it was collected.
Good to know. I'll have to try it this year. The cough syrups have never worked in the past. Garlic in their socks at night has helped and onion juice in the ear as well.
I have never heard of that before. I will definitely give it a try! Thanks Hope.
You always have such great ideas! Thanks for the tip and the birthday wishes. I love you!
Post a Comment