Monday, September 15, 2008

Impaling with Pears

While you and your Spouse are preparing pears to be canned, standing together in the kitchen, enjoying each other's conversations, what do you suppose makes the noise, "THUMP-BUMP-THUDDITY-BUMP-POUND-THUD!!!!!"?

No, not three kids falling out of bed all at the same time.

It isn't Ranoah swinging from her closet hanger rod, again, like a monkey.

It isn't the mounds of craft supplies I inherited this summer that are stacked in my craft room.

What could it be????

Why, it was nothing more than a tree limb impaling our roof! That's all. No biggy.

It isn't like we have had one thing after the next happening to us this summer. No. It's not like we are starting to fear leaving the front door, expecting lightening to strike us down.

What more could happen?!?!

All I can say, is that I am extremely grateful!!! Grateful for Home Teachers who haven't complained about being called late on Sunday night to help repair a roof while it is still sprinkling. The same Home Teacher who doesn't mind being asked to sacrifice part of his already busy Saturday to do repairs on a house that isn't even his. Grateful that my kids and I and my loving husband are still in good health (knocking on wood repeatedly). Grateful that these are mere trials compared to the hurling boulders that are trampling some people in life. Facing them one at a time is the reason why we could care less that the washing machine is leaking, or that my husband's tires on his car are in desperate need of replacement, or that my house hasn't been vacuumed in a week because my vacuum cleaner is at the rental house that we are 99% done fixing up. These things can wait.

They can wait for the other potentially dangerous tree limbs to be cut down before another gentle rainstorm comes through. They can wait for the rest of the pieces of the demolished deck from the rental to be removed on the next garbage day. THEY CAN WAIT FOR A RENTER TO BE FOUND SO WE DON'T HAVE TWO HOUSE MORTGAGES TO PAY. (Seriously, if anyone knows anyone who needs a charming little 3-bedroom in Northern AL, PLEASE let me know!!!)

Last night when this all happened, all I could do was laugh and turn on some church music. I continued cutting, coring and peeling pears while my husband and Home Teacher fixed our roof. I drifted in and out of reality, trying to remember what the feeling of my mom's hand in mine felt like, just a short time ago. What I would give to just hold her hand one more time. I would never let it go.

So, what has our roof being impaled taught us?!?! Obviously that we needed another challenge. Although I am not sure what lesson we got from this other than how to repair a 3 inch hole in your roof while it is still raining.

Isn't it Friday YET?!?!?!

8 comments:

Quincy Sorensen said...

Hope, I am both laughing and crying as I read your post. When it rains, it pours, huh? I am sending some love your way.

Heather said...

Oh Hope, I know exactly how you feel. All you can do is laugh and take it all in stride. If you let it work you up you would be an emotional wreck. we are praying for you to have the calm after the storm. Our calm always has a little drizzle and some gusts so its never total bliss.

Anonymous said...

Ok...I can't complain! My week has been descent and I can handle the morning sickness more now. Thanks for keeping things in perspective! Hugs to y'all in your pouring down times ( Glad you were able to laugh about it--I am still learning to do that)! If you need anything let me know! :)

Anonymous said...

Hope, you are such an inspiration to me as to how to keep things in perspective and also how to laugh off the trials that come your way. HUGS!

Laura said...

Everyone needs your kind of calm! I'm pretty sure your Mom MUST have been holding your hand helping you to drift OUT of real life! Dont worry it took us FIVE years to fill up that bottle the last time we used it to pay for our honeymoon.....we RARELY use cash as well....so its a great idea if you want to do something fun....FIVE years from now!! Which I'm sure you will!!! I hope things get a little more sunny around your parts! Thinking of you!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I hope your roof gets fixed soon. Why to look at the bright side!!!! It sounds like you are learning what your trials are intended because you seem to be handling them well.

Lisa said...

All I can say is WOW!!

BIG HUGS!!

Wendyrful said...

What else is there to say than, BIG (((HUGS))) to you and your family. Again. you are so amazing at keeping a good attitude and laughing through the hard times.

Blog Archive

Followers

Crafty Blog!!!!

Vote For A Cure

Photobucket

Help Fight Breast Cancer by Clicking!!

The Breast Cancer Site

 

Our Forever Family | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates