Thursday, July 24, 2008

Florida Vacation ~ Finale

After two trips to Disney World, playing at the ocean and pool and just taking it easy, we decided to head home. Okay, our time was up, but we still felt like going home. However, on our way home we had to stop at a couple of tourist attractions. One for Shawn and one for me...


I feel pretty bad because I can't remember the name of this spot. However, I do know that it use to be a Civil War Prison and is now a museum dedicated to the history of it as well as a cemetery for US military. Unfortunately the next couple pictures are all there is because of the little girl you see running in the above picture. Seconds after the picture was taken she fell down and got pretty scraped up.



These two were taken prisoner prior to the leg scratching incident. This is a duplicate of one of the cells. Horrible. So tiny, not able to stand... wasn't pretty. Supposedly this was one of the worst prison camps in history. They compared conditions to other better known camps during our World's Wars.



This wall is all that remains (actually I think it was rebuilt for the historical site, but it is in the same spot it would have been) of the wall that surrounded the entire prison. The little white posts you see all around are labeled barriers. Basically there was one point where if you were caught just walking too close to the wall you would be shot. I would love to come back here and further examine the remains of the fort/prison and learn more about it.

Now, onto my top choice!!!


Can you guess where this is????

Clue #2.... (Read the sign she is sitting on!!)



Still don't know?!?! If you know anything about my Cinema fav's you should know that this was an awesome visit for me.....


Thee Whistle Stop Cafe. Awesome!!! Fried Green Tomatoes anyone???? We enjoyed ours. Fried Green tomatoes was actually filmed here!! Ruth and Idgie's house is across the street from the cafe. The bullet-shot window is in a frame hanging in the restaurant. And I was moments away from getting an apron for myself, but I relented. I am regretting it now. I really wanted it, but I was trying to be a nice wife!!


While we waited 30 minutes to be seated for lunch the kids decided to let out some energy. In the background are the shots seen above as well. Smokey Lonesome's house.... the grill... and Frank Bennet's 'Secrets in the Sauce' dedicatory slab!! It was hilarious.


The kids were amazed at all the pretty flowers and the cute little bees buzzing in them. They begged me to take a picture. What can I say? I am a sucker for my kiddos endless pleas.... when I am at Whistle Stop!!!

Tawanda!!!!!!

6 comments:

Trish said...

Oh, I'd be hard pressed to pass up an apron. You know, don't you, that I am an absolute apron addict?! Sounds like a wonderful few sidesteps on the way home.

Stella said...

I love the highlights. Can't wait to hear more. I am jealous of your visit to "Whistle Stop Cafe". So much fun!

Anonymous said...

That prison/fort place...is it in South Georgia? Anderson something-or-other??? We used to live near there and toured it once. I'm not into Civil War history or anything but it was pretty cool.

You've had a very full summer!

Jessica M said...

Whistle stop cafe? Juliette GA. I've been there. TINY little town, great fried green tomatoes.

I love that movie.

Emily said...

TAWANDA!

Kendra@My Insanity said...

Your Florida vacation looks heavenly. I am still so impressed that your husband works for NASA. I'm getting ready to throw a space/astronaut birthday party for my son and decorate his room in the same theme.

I am sorry about your mom. I hope you are feeling lots of love and support, right now! I will keep your family in my prayers.

Kendra

Blog Archive

Followers

Crafty Blog!!!!

Vote For A Cure

Photobucket

Help Fight Breast Cancer by Clicking!!

The Breast Cancer Site

 

Our Forever Family | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates