Saturday, February 02, 2008

We still miss you, Columbia

In Remembrance - Memorial to the Columbia Crew, posted by the SpaceStore.com - February 1, 2004

Yesterday marked 5 years since the tragedy of Columbia. I remember that day so clearly. I remember the emotions that raced through our home...

I was making breakfast... pancakes... with the TV playing in the background. Shawn was excited because it was a clear day and the whole family was going to step out the front door to watch as the crew of Columbia made their flight home. We had the big TV on in one room and the little 6-inch in the kitchen as we anxiously awaited the annoucement of it's coming. But, there was something else being announced as Shawn and I were talking about something.

All of the sudden he lets out a big "Shhhhhh", as he sat and watched the news. That was the first of very few times that I have heard a 4-letter word come from my husband's mouth. Followed by tears, grudgingly held back but making their way out. He couldn't even tell me what had happened. He ran outside to see if he could see it. I finally realized what had happened as I observed the replay on the news. Shawn was immediately on the phone with co-workers who had worked with him on calculating the payload for that mission.

That weekend was full of funeral services held in numerous churches in the community around Houston, including our own. The next week Shawn was busy signing up for whatever relief efforts he could participate in to help make sense of what had happened.

There are many things that we remember. Many things for which we grieve. A lot of things have happened in my short lifetime, and I expect many more things will happen. Today I remember many things that have happened recently, as well as things that days during the week mark the anniversary of. I am glad to have my family with me at this time.

3 comments:

Dawn said...

I remember that day as well. We were taking down our Christmas lights outside (a little late, I know) but I was watching the news while I cleaning and when it was announced, I thought of you guys and was so sad. The magnitude of the tragedy hit me and I was so sad. I didn't know anyone personally, but I think as a human being, you feel apart of something bigger. I remember the rest of the day being very somber. Then I remembered back in the 1st or 2nd grade when the Challenger tragedy happened. I think these brave men and women know that their lives were sacrificed for a greater good. It's just sad to witness such a tragedy...

Anonymous said...

That is something I think that I will always remember. I just remember trying to make sense of everything and feeling awful for their loved ones. They knew what the risks were, but obviously loved what they did enough to take those risks and they have left their mark in history.

Sarah said...

Just reading your post gave me the goosebumps. I am not as close to that tragedy as you guys but still feel very sad thinking of all those who lost someone. I too am grateful for my family and for the chance to be with them FOREVER.

Blog Archive

Followers

Crafty Blog!!!!

Vote For A Cure

Photobucket

Help Fight Breast Cancer by Clicking!!

The Breast Cancer Site

 

Our Forever Family | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates