Friday, February 01, 2008

To Blog, or Not to... Wait, that was already taken...

Okay, so my dillema this past week has been split into many. It started off with my commintment to excerceise at the gym. That has been going pretty well, for the most part. With the exception of days where I just have to stay home and accomplish other things. Then, there are "the other things". I have been trying so hard to get caught up in almost 10 years of scrapbooking.

When I first started to scrapbook I tried so hard to do all the neat little embelishments and fancy writing and such... That wasn't for me. So, instead of trying a new method right away I just let the pictures build up until I realized they weren't getting scrapbooked by themselves! Yikes!! So, here I was trying to solve the ever-growing picture problem, when I found myself at a friend's house looking through her daughter's scrapbook which she so excitedly wanted to show me (the daughter, not my friend). I then noticed that she had made scrapbooks for each of her 5 (now six) kids and kept them up to date quite well (the friend, not her daughter). As I looked onto each page, I noticed a recurring theme... no embelishments. Wow! What a concept!! I love to journal, and seeing these simple pages with full discriptive pages made me ponder.

It wasn't until I was perusing the craft section of our local Walmart (yes, I still end up there about once a month), when I noticed a package labeled, "Pond of Paper". What another great concept!! So, I bought 2 pounds of paper and got to work. Now I have caught up 3-5 years in each of my children's scrapbooks and finished 1999 and 2000 in our Family album. I did about 8 years worth total this week, after putting it off for a few months from when I actually started this concept. There are no ribbons, stamps, stickers or calligraphy. Just colorful scraps of paper, pictures and lots of writing. My kids have enjoyed seeing pictures of themselves from when they were babies. And I have enjoyed the diminishing stack of pictures from my craft drawers!!

My other dillema this week came from the scrapbooking. So, I am all caught up to a certain point in each scrapbook of my children. But at that same point in time I either have not developed the pictures belonging to that year, or am missing about 6 months of pictures. I am so furious. I just discovered this week that I am missing Skylah's first birthday, Ranoah's 4th birthday and Zach's 6th birthday. As well as Christmas in Utah that year. Not to mention a visit from my brother to Texas and I am sure a few other events. I found a link I posted to them from my old blog, but now they are inactive. I have saved pictures to disk, with the exception of these because we were moving at the time. It is so aggrivating.

To top it off, yesterday my sweet Ranoah stayed home from school with an ear ache. So, a bunch of my time has been diverted from this lovely computer which sits, pleading with me to come and type on it's dark keys. I am still continuing in my attempt to get caught up in my scrapbooks, despite my loss of 6 months. I am keeping tabs on which piuctures I need to print out still. And no, I won't do digital scrapbooking. I don't like it (for me). My kids have today off from school, so I can't make it to the gym. But I am sure the endless trips up and down the stairs as I answer both the call of the scrapbooks and the call of my wild children will provide me with plenty of excercise today.

Did I mention my laundry is begging me to be folded?!?! Okay, so now that I have granted life to all the inanimate objects in my home, it is probably time for me to get off the sweet, soothing computer and get back to my crying laundry, screaming scrapbooks and happy children (wow, who'd have thunk there could be happy children while I am typing????).

Happy blogging to the rest of you, until next time, when my laundry is neatly folded and put away, scrapbooks sit full on the shelves and children are once more screaming at each other, I bid you happy days and a great weekend!!

(Great!! To top even this off now my spellcheck is not working so I can't even appear to be a decent speller to you. Just deal with it, okay. My dishwasher is demanding to be emptied right now and I just don't have time to check all these words!!)

14 comments:

Heather said...

Hope, I am so proud of you. I am ahuge scrapbooker and love all the fun things that go with it but I am a huge advicate for it doesn't matte rhow its done as long as you do it. Just stick on some paper and right about it. its great and now its documented and that is what matters. Good for you.

Heather said...

Okay I mispelled like every word and did right instead of write, oh-well.

kg said...

I am right there with you in the scrapbooking department. My bin sits ever so full in the closet. Good for you for venturing out. I don't know what I'm waiting for...blogging seems more appealing now :) I know I'll regret it when I have 10 years piled up!! Best of luck :)

Emily said...

Cool Hope, I am so jealous. I really quit the scrapbooking thing when I hit Josh's first year... I have WAY too many pictures to catch up!

danakat said...

wow. Your blog just made me feel normal. Thank you for your sweet "rantings".
And I am so impressed with your progress with scrapbooking. What you're describing is exactly what I want to do...one day. I just don't know if I can find the time and energy to even begin going through the pile of pictures to start the process...ugh. Maybe you could give me a good dose of pep talking each week...along with the gym too. ;)

Lisa said...

Hope, you are so funny. I think you're super. I am impressed I have to say. I even like that you're complaining...:}

hope said...

LOL! Thanks for all the comments. Glad to know I am not the only slacker when it comes to scrappin! Just kidding!
Heather, you are so right. Just getting it out on paper is so much better and it feels so good right now. The kids love being able to look at it and even read the little blips I have on there.
Kim & Dana, I think what really got me started was the fact that I couldn't remember what year some of the pics took place. I thought I would always be able to remember. That's what I get for having a daughter who liked to cut her hair short twice!! I can't tell the difference between her at age 2 and age 4 cometimes!!
Emily, Funny, I thought you did scrap! I remember seeing a pile of stuff beside your bed in a picture you posted a while back. Maybe that was someone else! See, my mind is going!!
Lisa, Queen of scrappin!! Another thing that got me going hardcore this week is the possibility that I won't be able to come to scrappin night at your house. The launch is scheduled for Thursday, but we all know how timely the shuttle launch has been lately!!

Meghann said...

Oh, your laundry talks to you too? Hmmm....I thought I was the only one:)

***LIZ*** said...

Great job Hope! My Mum did our scrapbooks like this, and I love mine, it is better then none at all which is the alternative if you deem all the frills nessesary. That is why I try to blog everyday, because as much as I try to do the hole scrapbooking thing, it is a lost cause for me.

Dawn said...

that is a great idea! I am seriously behind, but here's my delimma. I love all of the embellishments, but there's no $ for those. So, my pics are sitting on a disc, waiting to be printed. At least they are not taking up space...I might have to get started and then go back, if I have the $ or the energy. And I love the retro-fitted workout. Someone should figure out how many calories you burn folding each load of laundry!

Anonymous said...

Yes, Hope, I have to agree with the others that I am glad to see you are normal. :)

I LOVE that you did 8 years worth in 1 week--that is truly amazing! I finally learned to do scrapbooks the fast and easy way (and no, I'm not caught up either). I just bought the albums that you stick the pictures in....I get my pictures developed and just stick them in there. 1 album for each year. At least I've got them all in one place and in some sort of order. Then "when I have time" I go back and actually put them in a scrapbook and journal next to it. My scrapbooks are ever so simple but I am ok with that.

rjbmacfamily said...

Hope did you use Yahoo Photos for Skylah's birthday picture? If you did, they went over to Flickr.com (you didn't have to do anything). That's where our yahoo pictures went.

Bama Holcomb Family said...

Yes, everyone, I am quite "normal". I apologize for misleading anyone! ;)
I am in process of trying to retrieve the lost photos through the customer service of the server I lost them through. Hopefully that does work. Jen, yes it was Yahoo, and I did find out they switched to Flickr, etc. They are still not there. We shall see what comes up!

Dahnelle said...

Hey, thanks for the reference, Hope! I feel famous now. Like Dana:)

Blog Archive

Followers

Crafty Blog!!!!

Vote For A Cure

Photobucket

Help Fight Breast Cancer by Clicking!!

The Breast Cancer Site

 

Our Forever Family | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates