Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Whole Wheat Wednesday

Wow! Has it been a week already???

So, I have been baking. I made three loaves of my usual bread. It calls for 10 cups of whole wheat flour, but, you know me.. I Love to EXPERIMENT in the kitchen!!! I have been playing with my recipe for a long time now (okay, maybe 8 months, but still), and have come to the conclusion that if you do 6 cups sifted fresh ground whole wheat flour, 3 cups sifted Soft White Wheat flour & 1 cup sifted (I sifted mine together with the Soft White Wheat) Fresh Ground Barley Flour. I also kneaded it in my mixer for an additional 2 minutes (12 minutes total) to add to the softness and elasticity of the gluten. Wow!! The texture, moisture, flavor & form were excellent!! One of my kids' friends even told me mine was better than his mom's (sorry "friend's mom"). I told him not to tell his mom because us moms don't like to hear such things! LOL

Second, I had the need to make some Coconut Bread to deliver while visiting teaching and, against the better judgement of my own mother, I made it using 100% whole wheat flour. My husband laughed at me when my expression on my face was overcome by amazement! I am a strict food critic when it comes to my own cooking. (My candy so far this year has tasted great, but it has lacked the form it needs to be referred to as candy and not a really rich frosting!!) I could NOT tell that it was made with wheat. With something as incredibly yummy as Coconut Bread, that is a good thing!! I will have to make more!!! And this time I will take pictures. Why?? Because I have eaten the one loaf that I did not share with anyone else already!!

And here's a good tip for all of you faulty candy makers.... When your fudge is less than fudgy, and a little more on the runny side, but still so nice and creamy... pour it on a hot cake, fresh from the oven, and, yes, made with wheat!! Top with coconut and pecans and lightly toast for a few minutes at 400. Yummy!!!!

Have a Wonderful Wheaty Week!!

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers

Crafty Blog!!!!

Vote For A Cure

Photobucket

Help Fight Breast Cancer by Clicking!!

The Breast Cancer Site

 

Our Forever Family | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates