WWW!!!
Betcha you thought I forgot! Well, I didn't!! I am on it gals!! Whole Wheat Wednesday is fun for me because I get to think up during the week between just what do I want to work on. This month, I promise to do some Christmas baking, with wheat!! My mom's infamous Coconut Bread (with wheat), Some Sinfully Moist Carrot Cake (with wheat), and some other goodies!!! I am so excited! I haven't baked Christmas goodies for so long, but I am longing to be around my parents and siblings so much lately that I decided to get off my rear and bake some of the things my mom made, year after year, and take them caroling to some of our friends here. I can't wait!!!
Anyways, I received a question two weeks ago (sorry, gals, Thanksgiving was a great holiday, full of friends, food and much to be grateful for, but I prioritized so I wouldn't lose my mind) asking about "Why Whole Wheat?"
Well, first off, All Purpose Flour is not a bad thing!! I will just bring that right out in the open. It has the bran removed, which removes a lot of the fiber, but they "enrich" it with loads of good vitamins and such. I have chosen to go with Wheat because it stores, as a grain, a lot longer than white flour. That, and there is nothing wrong with adding some fiber to our diets!
Whole Wheat also has Gluten... a wonderful source of protein. Some whole grain flours have more fat/starch/carbs than others. But as far as any of those go, they are pretty comparable. We have also chosen to use strictly wheat because we already have it rotating in our food storage, and we need to start using it for two main reasons: #1~ To get our bodies accustomed to it. We don't feel like going into shock when we all of the sudden have to use what we have on hand and have never put it in our mouths before. #2~ Even though it lasts a while, it doesn't last forever. We needed to start rotating it, so we figured why not go full strength.
I love to make things from scratch. In today's society there are a lot of luxuries. A lot of easy ways out. I remember coming home from school to the smell of fresh made bread. My mom would just make it once in a while when we needed it. But it was so good. My kids love to help me grind the wheat, and they always get the first fresh slices from my bread when it comes from the oven. I have received high praise for my bread from Shawn's Grandma... To me that is like winning a blue ribbon at the County Fair! She grew up in a full house with nothing but homemade dresses and homemade food. It was good to hear! I made cake the other night for FHE out of white wheat, which melted in our mouths. It was great to eat.
Whole Wheat is not just something to eat, in my family, it is almost a way of life. It takes some adjusting to, but it feels great in the long run to be able to tell others, "I make my own flour and bread and pasta"... I have gotten looks. I don't brag to others, but if it comes up in conversation (which surprisingly it does quite often), and people kind of avoid me after they find out that I am "one of THOSE people"! LOL I love it. I know it is strange.... I have made and used cloth diapers; I grind my own flour and bake my own bread; I stopped buying mac & cheese when I discovered my kids prefer my Tuna Pasta better.... Life goes on, but for us it is a little more filling!
I hope I didn't go off too much. I love the questions! Keep them coming. And have a great week!!!






8 comments:
Hey! I like "those" kind of people. I grew up with "those" kind of people! ♥
Hope, you are cool. Believe me, you make the best pickles.
You are such a super example. I have to tell you, last week I was at school for lunch and Ranoah was eating soybeans. She was so excited, telling her teacher how much she loved them. It was great to watch her enjoy such a healthy treat!
Thanks, Em! I, too, loved growing up around "those" kind of people! I will tell Shawn what you said about the pickles! He is the canner in our family. I love the tomatoe paste he made this year!!
Lisa... LOL I just have to laugh becuase Ranoah BEGGED me to give her some Edamame for her lunch that day. My kids love it when I just open a package and leave it open on the table for them after school and they can munch all hour!
I am so impressed with how well-rounded your entire family's diet is. You are an inspiration.
Hope, please share your pasta making directions. And, is grinding your own wheat difficult? Would it go bad faster in this humid climate? Thanks and I love the food suggestions. We are a close second but not nearly as healthy as we should be! (An episod of "You on a diet" has changed a lot in our pantry!)
I wish I was one of "those" people. I'm sure people are just super impressed when you tell them all the amazing things you are doing. I'm sorry to say that I'm afraid homemade bread is about as far as I ever venture into the whole wheat world. Maybe I'll get inspiration from your posts though, we have TONS of wheat.
People really avoid you after finding out you are resourceful and care about your families diets? Crazy people! Anyway, I wish I was more like you in your industrous ways.
Hope you are amazing. "Those" people are just jealous!! I wish I were more like you.
Post a Comment