Whole Wheat Wednesday
Oatmeal? Yes, Oatmeal. 3 years ago I was buying instant oatmeal because my kids loved it. But, their favorite flavor was Maple Brown sugar. I kept thinking that there must be a simpler and more cost efficient way to get them some oatmeal. Now they love oatmeal even more, and it takes less time than before!!! No joke. And right now with the cool mornings at the bus stop, I am grateful to have this recipe because I know it warms my kiddos...
First, the Recipe:
1 1/2 Cups Quick-oats (The difference between Quick-Oats and Rolled Oats is that the Rolled oats are the whole grain, rolled. Quick oats are Rolled oats that have been chopped into smaller pieces to open up the grain more for quicker cooking. So, if you store/buy Rolled oats only, then put them in the processor for a brief pulse with the blade and there you will have quick oats!!)
1 Cup Raisins (optional... I don't add them because my kids love raisins, just not cooked.)
1/4 Cup chopped nuts (optional)
1/3 Cup UNpacked Brown Sugar (Unpacked is better than packed because it doesn't retain it's shape and reduces the clumps you will get by packing it. The actual recipe calls for 1/4 Cup Packed)
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
3 heaping TBS Dry Nonfat Milk (This was my own addition to add more dairy benefits to the diet for my kids.)
Directions:
Mix all the ingredients together. Then scoop 1/3-1/2 Cup into serving bowls, drizzle water (enough for preferred consistency.... I usually barely cover the oat mixture with water.), then microwave on High for 1:45 (one minute, forty-five seconds). Stir, add whatever toppings you would like. I like to add a few marshmallows and some peppermint baking pieces for a fun twist. Did you know Peppermint Oil (which is used in making starlight mints, candy canes, baking pieces, etc) is great to consume when the winter weather kicks in and when you have a cold?!
I usually mix 4 batches in a #10 food storage can and just scoop out of it throughout a couple weeks, then replace with a fresh batch. My mornings usually go something like this...
Do you see it yet???
Right there, in front of you....

Now, scoop some out and put it in your bowl...

Very good! Now add some water... not too much, Silly!

Microwave it, and add your yummy toppings! Some of our favorites include the above displayed Marshmallow-Mint, Maple Syrup, pie fruit, fresh fruit and cream... you name it!!
Some questions asked last time were:
~Do you use a bread machine? I use to. With fresh ground wheat flour it is harder to get a good loaf, unless you substitute with 1/2 whole wheat flour and 1/2 bread flour. My recipe I posted a while back with the simple bread recipe is what I use now. It doesn't take any more time than before with the bread machine because I got to the point where my flour wouldn't mix in just with the little paddle in the machine, and I had to finish mixing the dough with a spatula before it kneaded it. I recommend it if you are wanting to take things one step at a time. It was a fun tool, and I still intent to use mine once I perfect my own 100% Whole Wheat bread recipe for it!
~Have you tried Bean Flour? No, I usually use what I can grind in my grinder. I haven't braved that one yet! However, we have made Pinto Bean Fudge, which was pretty tasty!!!
Keep the questions coming!! I love to answer them. Ask away, and enjoy your oatmeal!!






7 comments:
I am doing the oatmeal thing forsure!! What a great idea and wonderful tips!! Thanks Hope!!
Thanks Hope. I look forward to these Wed. posts! My kiddos love oatmeal and it is such a cost-effective breakfast! I just buy the cans of quick oats from the cannery, add water and brown sugar and my kids are good to go...we'll have to try some of your additions for a nice change. Your pics are great--you're turning into another Pioneer Woman! :)
ok...I have to admit that I HATE oatmeal, but my kids do love it and so does Tys so I will have to try this for sure! THANKS!!! I will try it just to make sure I still hate the stuff! LOL If I end up liking it...then you'll probably get a BIG hug from my family!
I am not a big oatmeal fan unless it's of the cookie variety, but those topping ideas are fantastic! We'll have to try those in spite of my stinky oatmeal attitude. :)
Love the step by step!
I am going to have to try this. It looks pretty yum, we are an oatmeal lovin' fam...
Would you (or have you) attempt a whole wheat pie crust?
Questions:
Have you ever made oatmeal (the regular kind)in the crockpot? I've been wanting to try that...
Also, do you have a good recipe for whole wheat pancakes? I made WW waffles last week and my kids ate them but didn't really like them. Today I made my regular pancake recipe and substituted 1/2 the AP flour with ww and oat flour--they turned out really yummy.
Post a Comment