My "Cup of Tea"
To quote the often used phrase, "Not my cup of tea", there are many things around me from time to time that are just that... "not my cup of tea". For instance, luxury cars... Don't need them & don't want them. I could honestly care less if my doors opened by themselves or if I had a window on the top of my car. I will admit, they are nice 'luxuries' to have, but I have no use for them. Designer handbags... huh?! Boots... No! Rap... Uh-Uh!!!
What is my cup of tea?? I love a peaceful evening at home with my kids and hubby sitting in front of a fun movie enjoying a bowl of fresh popped popcorn. Even more so I love to take a long walk around a shopping center with hubby... JUST hubby. Not caring about anything around us, just walking and talking and enjoying each other's company. A simple warm meal at the table, with mismatched glasses and chipped plates on gently used place mats that my mother-in-law made for me. A GENUINE hug. Come and give me a hug any time! Music!!! Oh, I love music. I played Molly in one high school musical and one of the extras in Babes in Toy land another year. I have a collection of musicals on DVD that I watch over and over again and, yes, I sing along with them. Driving alone in my car with the music blaring and singing along with it!! Yes, all this and more is my cup of tea!!
What else? Having a husband who is such a nerd... and he loves me for being a nerd right back!! I give you our Christmas Trees.... Yes, T-R-E-E-S (plural). Some of you will crack up, others may have to come over to believe it. The rest of you... those of you who know me and my hubby... will just smile and nod!!!
Last night we set up our Christmas Tree after a warm Sunday dinner of Crock pot Chicken Soup. The kids enjoyed fluffing out the branches. And Zach enjoyed being able to put them on the trunk this year for the first time. But nothing could prepare them for the excitement of this little beauty!
After FHE tonight we set up our little Star Wars tree. Shawn has been receiving SW ornaments for years from family at Christmas time. So, a few years back, I decided to give him a 3 ft. tree for Christmas. Now, it is complete with...

This "Fully Armed and Operational Battle Station".... The Death Star. It lights up, in case you can't tell. The surrounding 'life-size' stand-ups are Darth Vader and Boba Fett. Darth was also a Christmas present from me a couple years ago. You should see the stuff I have willingly bought for him at Christmas time to add to his collection. And you haven't even seen the Star Wars room!!! But that shall wait for another post!!

Until then... Warm thoughts and wishes in this joyful month.






11 comments:
Christmas and traditions are so fun. I'm sure your kids will remember all these things well into adulthood.
The trees are awesome! We also love Star Wars and my mother-in-law has a pretty large collection. Although, no stand ups here, we are jealous!
Jeff has seen the star wars room...
Jeff only saw the beginings of the star wars room. It is not yet fully armed and operational.
HA HA HA HA HA! Ya know you can always use our Queen Amidala headpiece for a topper?! LOL LOVE the Star Wars theme! We love it here too, but I think Shawn may take the cake :)These will be cherished memories for you and your kids!
In any case, I agree with the mismatched glasses and chipped plates...though I admit that I do wish mine weren't. I struggle with dishware vanity :) I agree with the rap, but I do LOVE boots!
Oh that tree is too much! I do believe Shawn wins the prize for Star Wars love.
And I didn't know you have a dog?! It looks pretty...what breed is it?
"All" your tree's are great! (and so muc fun!!)
LOL!!! I love the idea of a Amidala headpiece on the top!! That would be funny. We started off with a silver, speckled ornament when we couldn't find the Death Star right away. And then that year Halmark came out with the talking Death Star ornament. It was so funny to see how excited Shawn was!!!
I think trees with specific themes (ie., red ribbons and glass balls; southwestern, etc.) are beautiful, but to me a Christmas tree has always been a symbol of growth in a family. When we got married I was so thrilled to see a large tin of ornaments which had been given to Shawn over the years. Those were our first ornaments, along with a few of mine from childhood. When Zach was born we continued the tradition. Papa and Nana have been doing that as well. Our tree grows fuller each year, and I hope to someday pass on a container of ornaments to each of my children when they are old enough!
Yes, we are "nerds" at our house too! I love it.
We are all nerds in some way or another. I love the big tree it is beautiful!!
that little tree let the cat out of the bag about your nerdy husband, if it wasn't out already...it's cute though. If Tom had one, it'd be weighted down with sports crap! Merry Christmas!
Post a Comment