Whole Wheat Wednesday
Okay, so I am alive out here, and I have some pics that I have taken. I just haven't gotten around to blogging them. But, I wanted to at least post today...
Whonderful Whole Wheat TIPS~
#1~ Myth or fact? You must have a wheat grinder in order to buy and use whole wheat...
MYTH!! You can slow cook it in your crock pot or on the stove for a great hot morning cereal; you can use the same in supplement with rice to add more fiber and protein to your diet; you can use the same cooked wheat to add to your homemade bread with store bought wheat flour to make a hardier loaf! And if you want REAL Whole Wheat Flour without having to grind it, I suggest the King Arthur brand!!
#2~ You can cut out all your white flour all at once and start using everything in your pantry and food storage! Whole Wheat is not the only flour you can grind and use. In fact, did you know that that yummy oatmeal you have in your pantry can go in your blender, dry, for just a few seconds to make some Oat Flour?! Yummy!! Use it in your cakes for a heartier, more filling, less starchy dessert!! And if you are frightened of the whole Wheat experience, start off using half-and-half.
#3~ A GREAT guide/cookbook for using whole grains in your cooking/diet is the King Arthur Cookbook. This week I made a delicious Banana Crunch Cake for the family because I had some overripe bananas sitting in the fruit bowl. (It made a great FHE dessert!!! AND wonderful breakfast in the morning!!) I bought my book at Amazon for a great price!!
#4~ "I don't like the taste of wheat."... Well, then don't use Hard Red or Bronze Wheat!!! Use Hard White Wheat. It has many of the same benefits as Red or Bronze, without the stronger taste. You can also buy Soft White Wheat to use in stuff like cookies and cakes and pastries. Also, playing around with many of your grains like Barley may prove to show you that there is a whole new world of taste and healthy living out there!!
#5~ All Purpose and Bread Flour are NOT bad for you. I switched to whole wheat because I have a lot of it stored in my food storage and decided it was time to incorporate it into our diets so it doesn't startle our systems if we ever need to use it entirely. Wheat stores well if it is stored properly. And if you rotate it and add on, you will have the wonderful feeling that you are prepared for a few more things that life can throw your way. There are also a lot of benefits of using whole grains in your diet.
Hopefully these tips help you a bit. I love using whole grains, and my family has been very patient while I experiment with some of the new recipes. I have also learned a lot, like when you are making whole wheat waffles, the moisture content is slightly increased and it is good to let the batter sit a few minutes before you use it so the Baking Powder can have more time to act, and to soften the grain a bit more. So much to learn, so much to make, so little time!!! Have fun with your experiments with Whole Grains this week!! And, take this time to ask some questions in your comments for a future FAQ's Post on Whole Wheat Wednesday!! If I don't know the answer, I will do my best to learn it!!!






12 comments:
Hope, I am so impresseed, I had no idea you knew so much about wheat and baking. I guess I should have known! Great tips. I use the King Arthur wheat flour all the time.
That is fantastic information!
Once the holidays have become a pleasant memory, maybe we can get together and you can gently guide me into the world of wheat.
Liz, Thanks! My mom loved to bake, so I guess I take after her in that respect. However, cooking with wheat is something that has grown on me and I have enjoyed learning the art of. I know I have only barely scratched the surface of what is out there. I have never used King Arthur Flour, but my friend told me all about it, when she wasn't able to grind her flour, and she got me to buy the book.
Dana,
I understand completely. Once the holidays are a memory I would love to do a coupld other thigns, too! I would love to help you get into it.
I love King Arthur products, I have most of their extracts, and a few of their products. My friend went to Vermont and took a few cooking classes at their shop, I am DYING to go too--- one day.
Thanks for the tips. I am SERIOUSLY thinking about getting a wheat grinder--- one day.
Do you use a bread machine?
MISS HOPE, are you still there?
I guess not. ;( Happy Halloween Bread Lady.
AND OH YEAH, do you have a great popover recipe? (that does not involve cheese?)
Still Here.
Are you now
Still here, yes!
Great tips! You are just a fountain of info!!
Hope, Have you ever tried using bean flour? My sister uses it in her baking. I have wanted to make bean fudge for many years now. Maybe I'll try it this year. I do love to use wheat in my baking. It makes me feel better about what I'm feeding teh family. This week I tried making my own butter. It was a hit and easy. Whipping cream was on sale, so I brought it home and put it in my food processor and ended up with two cups of butter and two cups of butter milk (which makes great buttermilk pancakes). It is so much fun to try new things. Keep up the good work!
Suzie
Post a Comment