Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Heavenly Whole Wheat

I have gone on strike from buying any flour. I have plenty of wheat in my closets, so I have taken to grinding my flour on a weekly basis, along with baking fresh bread, making waffles, biscuits and other adventurous baking tasks. Last night I decided to be brave and attempt wheat pizza dough for our pizza dinner...


This was all that was left of our two pizzas. Although, next time I will be making a Yeast dough instead. The baking powder crust was too dry and crunchy for our taste, but very nice to work with. (Sorry the picture is so fuzzy.)

While the pizza was baking, I decided to use some of the huge peaches I bought at Kroger that morning. So, I searched the Internet for a Peach Cobbler recipe that I could use my wheat in. I found one that was meant for white flour and canned peaches, but someone left a comment about how they used fresh whole wheat flour and fresh peaches. So, I figured, Why not?!

It was sooooooo yummy. Okay, I didn't use my hard red wheat.... I used my soft white wheat. Oh my goodness... I am usually pretty modest about, well, everything I do. However, I will say that this cobbler (sorry, Mom) was THEE BEST COBBLER EVER. I even spoiled my kids this morning and let them eat some of the leftovers for breakfast. YUMMMMMMMYYYYYYY!!!!

And, now, to introduce my book selection. I am not a literary fan. I love literature, but I can't make myself sit and read for mounds of time. That is, except for a new cook book. Especially this one that came in the mail right after my adventure in the kitchen...

Only I would be totally excited about this book. Forget Harry whats-his-name books. I will wait for the DVD! This is a book I will be skimming, scoping, staring & finally memorizing eventually. (Thanks for the suggestion, Karalee!!)

4 comments:

kg said...

Yay for Alabama bloggers :) I'm impressed with the whole wheat cooking...as you well read we are all about the cans :) I'll have to try that soup, I love taco soup!

Lisa said...

WOW! They both look YUMMY!! You are an inspiration!

Bama Holcomb Family said...

I am all about cans sometimes too, Kim. That is what storing food is about half of the time. Possy Stew... Can of diced tomatoes (with juice), can of ranch style beans (with juice), can of tomatoe sauce, can of chillies (diced), can of corn (drained), can of white hominy (drained), and just about anything else you think will taste good. To make it into Taco Soup, add some browned meat with taco seasoning, some canned sliced potatoes (drained) and serve over fritoes and cheese with Sour Cream on top. Yummy! I also add a can of El Pato (spicey tomatoe sauce) to the taco soup once in awhile.

Thanks, Lisa... they were both yummy!

***LIZ*** said...

Yummy! I think I will need to try some of that wheat pizza.

Blog Archive

Followers

Crafty Blog!!!!

Vote For A Cure

Photobucket

Help Fight Breast Cancer by Clicking!!

The Breast Cancer Site

 

Our Forever Family | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates