Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Errands & Kind Friends

I was feeling so sluggish this morning, with this aggravating head cold/allergies. I don't know which it is, but I am annoyed so much with the fact that I can't breath through my nose right now. Anyways, I was getting some courage up to get Skylah out of her pajamas, finally at 11am, and actually leaving the house to run a quick errand to Lowe's. And what do I hear? A phone call coming in. So, reluctantly I look at the caller id and behold the beautiful name of my dear non-Alabama Alabama friend. She and I are in similar situations, where we both love it here; we love our new friends we have made in the past year/year-and-a-half we have been living here; but we both miss our friends whom we had regularly spent time with and became so accustomed to. So, I picked up immediately.

Alisa asked me if Skylah and I would like to spend lunch with her and her little ones. Of course, but I need to run and errand. How about we meet for lunch somewhere? Anything to get out of the house and be in real civilization for an hour!! So, I excitedly get Skylah ready to go. And we load up the van.




Our first destination was Lowe's. I am desperately trying to organize some rooms in our house, and the first room on my list is the Craftroom. So, I needed some plastic drawer supplies.

It was a quick trip in and out. In fact I walked around the store a little longer to kill time before I left so I could be on time and not desperately early to meet up with Alisa. Before we headed to our lunch date, though, a pleasant thing happened in the parking lot...

A kind elderly gentleman took my cart for me and parked it as he was on his way to his car. Okay, for someone who grew up where this doesn't happen that often, this was a shocker. Even though it has happened several times since we moved to Alabama... the land of kindness. We have people who we have never seen before waving at us as we drive by. Men stop at the crosswalk to let me drive passed in the parking lots. Kids say "Yes, Ma'am" & "Yes, Sir" by age 2. It is wonderful, and quite enlightening.

Anyways, so off we go to lunch. What am I wanting to indulge in today??

Hardee's. Yes, believe it or not, I enjoy Hardee's. I set my wheat-loving pride aside to splurge on a good tasting hamburger. Today's hamburger came on Caraway Sourdough bread... YUMM!! I totally forgot, and regret not getting pics of Alisa and myself while there. However, I definitely snapped a few of the kids...

(Alisa's boy, Jacob)

Okay, I ask you, honestly, what would a trip to Hardee's, or any other burger joint for that matter, be without a shake??? Today's flavor... Orange Cream!

Mmmmm.... Mango baby food. I think Dylan is enjoying this!!

Alisa and I got in some badly needed chat time. We also decided to get together once a week and swap kids to give each other badly needed Time-out's. We miss our friends, and family for that matter. But, we have enjoyed our blossoming friendship. Thanks for a great day, Alisa!! See you on Friday!!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Cute kids and yummy looking shakes!!

***LIZ*** said...

A good friend escape is always a good idea. It looks like you had lots of fun!

Anonymous said...

Hospitality is a true southerners specialty...unfortunately not everyone likes our southern manners. When I lived a few years in Minnesota I was sent to the school principle with the complaint that I was a smart alec...I had only said,"Yes, ma'am." Goodness knows how much I would love it if my kids would say this more often. We are working on it and are more successful with the younger 2 so far.

Sounds like y'all had a great time!

Bama Holcomb Family said...

Thanks, Sarah.

Definitely, Liz!

Sharon, my kids are catching on. If they miss it, and say "okay", I simply throw in a "Yes, Ma'am" to remind them. I remember you telling me about your experience in school. That is too bad other places around the country don't hold to the old fashioned manners like those. My parents appreciate it when we visit now, because they are more respective of everyone around... most of the time.

The Mad Planter, LLC - Lorrin Wagner said...

I think Florida fell out of the southern traditions when everyone else moved here. We have Nick strictly trained with a yes m'am on all occassions, strangers think it is the funniest thing ever, actually, family does too! I love all of your recent posts and it looks like you guys are back to school and routine with a bang. Good idea on the kid swap! You will have to post your favorite recipes for all of us to steal - try to keep it simple for us non-chefs out here:)

danakat said...

A fun day out with a good friend is the best! I love kid-swaps!! You both deserve a breather...I know your kids... :)

Blog Archive

Followers

Crafty Blog!!!!

Vote For A Cure

Photobucket

Help Fight Breast Cancer by Clicking!!

The Breast Cancer Site

 

Our Forever Family | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates