Thursday, July 12, 2007

It's Been a 'Cruel, Cruel, Cruel Summer'!

Let me first say that, despite the fact that in a few other blogs shared by my friends here have recently portrayed the wonder and aw of their loving companions, I would also like to take several words to express such a thought... Cook, maid, babysitter, child entertainer, librarian (all words that describe a mother); manager, communications, mathmetician, rocket scientist, provider, priesthood holder, patriarch (all words to describe a father); Love of my life, personal gaurdian angel, protector, companion (all words that describe my husband). Add all of those together, and that is what Shawn has been taking the roll of for the past 50 days or so, non-stop.

He had back surgery in May and I cared for his every need for the 4 days that he needed me more. I became ill in May, and he has never stopped making sure everything in our home has been taken care of. He has pushed me back into bed when I came out to help; he has come home from 10 hours of working to make dinner, change diapers & tuck his three children into bed; he has taken all three kids to swimming lessons, and even taken some pictures of them on my request; I can go on and on, but won't.... not in this entry anyways. I love my husband.

Now, onto the rest of what we have been up to here, during my eventful recovery...

Swim lessons for Zach and Ranoah have taken place over the last three weeks. They have gone from scared stiff of getting their ears wet, to jumping off the diving board into the Lifegaurd's arms!


Zach barely let his ears in the water with the floating excercise, but the lifegaurds kept on him, and he finally jumped off the board!


Ranoah would rarely let go of the lifegaurds. She did however jump freely into his arms from the board!

They received their certificates with PRIDE tonight, along with some candy treats. And, we are thinking of celebrating with a trip to the pool this Saturday. Hopefully I can get some more pics of that. although I appreciate Shawn taking these ones when I was still bedridden.

We have also had the not-so-enjoyable, yet interesting opportunity to have some big yellow tractors behind our house tearing down trees to make room for more houses. I am sure more pics will come, but for now this is what I have...

BEFORE

SEE IT COMING?

THERE'S THE BEAST NOW!!

Stay tuned for the AFTER pictures.

And now a little bit of kid-bits.... Zach the Zany Scientist!! Zach has been curious about many things lately. He has also been busy trying to solve different problems in complex, yet interesting ways.... Take, for example, turning off the light before getting into bed at night.


You may be asking yourself, "What does this have to do with turning off the light?", or you are just skimming this entry, looking for the end, and skipping ahead to the next picture and answer.


Here's the little SCIENTIST now showing us how it works. Notice he is on his bed (forgive the fact that his mattress is off balance and the room is obviously messy... he is truly a busy-brained little boy), which means that he is not having to get out of bed to turn off his light.


And here we are in a now dark room, and he is still on his bed. Science experiment conclusion: Useful technique in elimination of illumination upon onset of drowsiness while reading at night in bed. Possibility of improving on process.

Next problem? How can I get the Planet Neptune and the Dwarf Planet Pluto on my Solar System on my ceiling to rotate in the actual way they rotate in SPACE??

So, okay it hasn't been a "Cruel" Summer. Being sick for half of it hasn't made things any better. But the kids have managed to have a little fun. Hopefully things will continue to get better and we will enjoy this awesome weather!!!

8 comments:

Heather said...

Wow, so how did your surgery go? Was it horrible pain and angony and you just wanted to shoot your head off? Thats how I felt for three weeks. I hope you can eat now.

Bama Holcomb Family said...

Ah, yes, the surgery. Surgery went smooth. However, I kept the pain killers coming for about 2 weeks solid. Kept trying to wean off of them, but then I just went back to taking them. The pain was surprisingly strong. Honestly, I would rather recover from giving birth again!! I am eating most foods again. However, anything with even the slightest bit of crispy edge or crust on it is out of the question. After last week's adventure with eating pizza, and then waking up coughing up blood, we are steering clear of those foods for another 2 weeks at least. But I am eating mostly normal foods again.

***LIZ*** said...

Yea Hope glad to see you back in the land of the living again, or at least blogging. I missed all the photos of your sweet little ones, can't wait to see more, there is still a lot of summer left to have fun with!

Heather said...

I am so glad. I agree completly, I would rather recover from my c-sections than do that again. Atleast with c-section you can eat and feel okay. Tonsils hit a double wammy. pain and hunger. Just wait for the scabs to fall off. I coughed up blood every morning for a month. They are disgusting and my husband almost threw up every time. Of course I had to show how big the scabs were every time and he is not a blood person. Poor guy, he had to marry me and be thrown into the abyss of accident prone people. I keep waiting for him to get used to it. It hasen't happened yet.

Emily said...

Hope! I HOPE that you feel better soon and can eat pizza crust without a near trip to the ER. You poor thing! Just know that you don't have to worry about strep after this surgery. Does that make you feel better? Why did Shawn have surgery on his back? Is he better now....?? Will you be able to eat pizza crust again soon? So many unanswered questions!?

Bama Holcomb Family said...

Liz~ Thanks! I think they are sweethearts, too!! I have missed doing stuff with them. However, today I am feeling still much better, and we are taking them to the pool as a family later today, then on to Ci-Ci's Pizza buffet (I will stick to the yummy alfredo pasta they have there). I got my hair dyed this morning, and Shawn got 2/3 of the acre mowed! We are having a progressive day.

Heather~ I agree about the different pain from C-section and Tonsilectomy. Although I have never had a C-Section, several of my friends have, and it is very different. And in both cases, you hate to sneeze or cough! Bring on childbirth any day, just don't cut into my throat again. Blood-coughing for a month?!?! Just small amounts, right?? Last Friday was A LOT. It wouldn't stop for like 10 minutes. (Sorry to be so descriptive, everyone.)

Emily~ YES!! I am SOOOOOO happy I won't have to worry about large tonsils again. Although, unfortunately I can still get strep, just not nearly as severe as with tonsils. Shawn has had back problems since before his mission. He spent 6 months of his mission in Korea in bed, which he hated, and another several months in the mission office there. Still had wonderful experiences, but now he wants even more to serve a couple mission there, which I wouldn't mind! And we will hopefully be able to enjoy it at a slightly young age since we have been so impulsive!! Now he has problems with his right leg, in relation to the nerves being pinched constantly by the inflamation in his vertibrae. He hates being 30 and sometimes feeling like he is 70. His grandparents just turned 80 and are driving across the country for a living, hauling trailers and seeing grandchildren everywhere they go. He wants to retire somewhat like that.

Okay, so this is more like another post, than a comment, but I thought I would answer your questions/reference your comments.... Oh, yes... I should be able to eat pizza crust in another few weeks or so. I actually enjoyed a very tender steak last night though. It felt could to cut and chew food again!!!!

Heather said...

Hope I ended up with a massive infection and it was just 2 days after I got home from the hospital that Logan broke his jaw and so I had no down time. I was sleeping in a 2 foot wide harder than rock pull out bed in Primary childrens and trying to give my son comfort. I was the after thought. Until a month past I was still in agony and had to go on antibiotics.

Bama Holcomb Family said...

Oh my goodness!! I am actually feeling grateful for my recovery now!!! Ugh!!! My doctor prescribed antibiotics immediately after the surgery. So, I guess that is why I didn't get an infection, thank goodness!! However, my body is tired of antibiotics, and I immediately got hives again. I haven't had any antibiotics for a couple weeks now, and I still break out at night before bed and in the morning right when I get up. Occasionally, like today when we went swimming I broke out in them, but other than that they are usually mild. I just bought a bottle of 100 Benedryl instead of another 24 pack!!! I figured, whynot?!?!?!

Blog Archive

Followers

Crafty Blog!!!!

Vote For A Cure

Photobucket

Help Fight Breast Cancer by Clicking!!

The Breast Cancer Site

 

Our Forever Family | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates