Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Very Early B-day Gift

Okay, so it isn't romantic.... It isn't chocolate.... It wasn't even wrapped. Heck, it isn't even my birthday. However, when he asked me if I wanted one, I told him I would love one, and would even accept it as an early Birthday present (August 30th for those who were curious). So what did Shawn do last night that was so awesome (at least to a country girl who has been without for over a year)?...


Still curious? Or do you know your kitchen appliances??

He bought me, and installed, a disposal system for our sink. Can you imagine living without one?? Just think about it for a second. When we first moved out here, we were told our plumbing from the kitchen and the laundry room lead out to a grey water ditch. So I have spent the last year coming up with natural soaps for the dishwasher, and trying to find the perfect drain cover to collect all those disgusting bits of food that come off when washing dishes. We had to empty that little strainer in the sink each night.

Well, our neighbor, the other night, told us that when they made the addition, she was positive that the dishwasher was actually connected to the rest of the water from the house, and not the grey water pipes. Which means..... Duh-duh-duh-duuuuhhhhh..... A GARBAGE DISPOSAL!! Have you ever been more grateful for the smaller things in life?? I love my knew, hidden birthday present. And, yes, even though it may not be jewels, or sweets to eat, I still love my husband even more for considering my job as homemaker, and the chance to make it a little simpler and convenient! Thank you, Love!

15 comments:

Heather said...

Yea for you! I couldn't live without my garbage disposal. I stick everything down it and then almost break it every couple of months. Anthony reminds me that it can't do popcorn kernals and rocks the kids throw are no good either.

Shanda said...

How romantic! I think we can all understand now why our mothers would ask for things like blenders for christmas! Oh the practicality of motherhood! :)

***LIZ*** said...

Yipee! You never fully appreciate things like that until you are without them. I love handy husbands. I know I survived before I had a husband, but boy do I love having someone to take the garbage out, lift things that are heavy, move, strap things to the roof of the car, install appliances, mow the lawn, bar-b-que, pump my gas, buy the movie tickets, say two please when the hostess asks how many?, assemble my many IKEA purchases, take care of dog poop, rub my feet, & most importantly tell me I am beautiful & wonderful everyday.... I love good husbands. And I am glad to see that Shawn fits this discription too!

Emily said...

Congrats! I think that is a mighty fine present!

Sarah said...

Being a SAHM is just easier with a garbage disposal. Hooray for you...life just got easier.

Bama Holcomb Family said...

I am excited! It is funny though, Shawn has been taking care of the kitchen duties since I have been in bed, and I noticed an undisposed pile of noodles in the sink yesterday. I wonder if he is having a hard time kicking the habbit?! If I were out there I would be singing and dancing while I flipped that switch!
PS- Pain Killers make for interesting dreams. Mine lately have been full of owls and dogs in my back yard. And they talk. Weird!!

Emily said...

HOPE! So glad you have risen from the dead. How are you feeling? We miss your comments on our blogs and hope you feel better soon. Drink lots of juice, and shakes, and soup. I'm sure your hubby can't wait for you to feel better again!!

Shanda said...

What is a SAHM? I had a wierd dream last night! Martha Stewart was at one of my High School Band Concerts. She kept following me around to give me tips on my home. I was a little irritated but I still asked if I could have her picture so that everyone would believe that I had a conversation with Martha Stewart. I woke up and it took a min to realize that I don't actually know Martha Stewart and she isn't critiquing my homemaking skills. Thank goodness!

Shanda said...

PS...So sorry you have been sick Hope!

Emily said...

SAHM=Stay at home mom

***LIZ*** said...

Yea! Hope! We missed you. How did everything go? Your dreams make me think that you have been reading Harry Potter before bed....
Shanda, I love Martha! I wish you did know her. Someday I am going to go to her show.

Bama Holcomb Family said...

The surgery went fine. They did find a little growth behind my tonsil that they removed, but nothing major. I would have gone home Tuesday if it hadn't have been for my pain meds making me nausiated and unable to drink fluids like I was supposed to. So, I stayed overnight, which wasn't too bad, and came home Wednesday. I am in a lot of pain part of the time, but it looks like things are healing nicely. I have a hard time talking half of the time, and eating has been hard still. But, I am not complaining. My life is pretty swell compared to others. A sister who I visit teach, her 6-month old son died in his sleep. I felt horrible. I have never had to deal with something like that. So, I called my mom to help. And I still had to call and ask one of her friends to go along with my companion to see her since I couldn't leave. I will take tonsilectomy, complaining kids, and a husband with a bad back any day, and thank my Heavenly Father at the end of each day for it.

Sorry, to bum you all out. Just needing to get stuff out of my system. It really sicks to not be able to speak very much. My mom is going to get such an earful when I am better!

Shanda said...

I can't even imagine what loosing a child would feel like! Sounds like you despite what you have been going through are doing great! Or as good as can be expected! Thanks for the reminder to keep a proper perspective on life! I think we are all extremely blessed and far to often forget because we focus on the negative or what we don't have instead of the many things we have been blessed with! Keep feeling better!

Bama Holcomb Family said...

My thoughts as well, Shanda. I feel that, if do not make myself sound too boastful in saying this, Shawn and I and our family have been so blessed because I have always tried to maintain that perspective on my life. I try to teach my children that we have so much compared to many people around the world, even in our own nation.
A lot of my close friends, even friends of our family in AZ, know how I grew up. My dad was able to give us the basics all my life. Wether through his seeking guidance from the church or the state or both, or just by having a good year at his current employment at that time. My fondest memories of my family are through the times we were truly blessed. Believe it or not, at one point through all our numerous moves, we lived in a house on 34th street, in Mesa, AZ. The Christmas spent in that house was not looking to be one of plenty. Or one of anything at all. That was the first year they aired the Brady's Christmas Special, which had a line referring to a "Miracle on 34th Street", and it was also the first year I recall seeing the TV movie, "Miracle on 34th Street". It was the last year I remember not quite knowing of the struggles of my parents. Well, that year was one full of many struggles. It just so happens that after we came out of our Ward Christmas Party that year, someone had stuffed our ugly green station wagon full of gifts and Christmas dinner makings. It was our "Miracle on 34th Street" as well. Growing up with such fond memories of blessings and trials, I promised myself and the Lord to always remember my blessings. And I am so grateful I have.
Sorry again for such a novel!

***LIZ*** said...

Hope, What a great story! I love your miracle on 34th street. I love that talk that Elder Bednar gave about the tender mercies of the Lord... in the times that we need it Heavenly Father seems to make a way and provide for us exactly the way we need. It always reminds me of how much and personally he loves each one of us. Thanks for sharing your stories!

Blog Archive

Followers

Crafty Blog!!!!

Vote For A Cure

Photobucket

Help Fight Breast Cancer by Clicking!!

The Breast Cancer Site

 

Our Forever Family | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates