Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Uh-Oh.... She's at it again!

For those who have never been to my house, or haven't been in the last several months, this is what my dining room wall has looked like up until a few days ago.

A mural that I have been working on since we moved into our home. I love lighthouses. I thought, "What better way to greet people to our table than with a beautiful, tall lighthouse?!" But plans change. As have this, and a couple other walls in our house.

For Valentine's Day I decided to do something to show my appreciation for my sweet, charming, giving, adoring husband. So, I sacrificed my mural and did some rearranging and painting to start. Our large Oriental fan was an ideal thing to work around for the second half of this project.

But the first half required sifting through all the awards and acknowledgements Shawn has received since he started working for the Space Program almost 10 years ago.

This was fun to do! I had a hard time figuring out which shelves to get for the plaques. When I found the perfect ones, I snatched them up, brought them home and discovered our walls were not square. So the corner-fitting shelves are not-so-much corner-fitting shelves, but they are doing the job. (Just don't breath when you approach them. In fact, stay at least 10 feet away from them... Just kidding. But, seriously, don't touch!)
There is even a section dedicated to the work he did for the Recovery of Columbia as well as the Return to Flight mission he worked so hard on to get the Shuttle back into action.

Now, remember the big fan?? Well, thanks to my sweet friends I was able to get some Korean words, which also happen to be our Family Laws, made into vinyl lettering and put up around it onto what use to be the mural, but is now the coordinating wall with a new decor. Mandi, owner and operator of Fontaholic Vinyl Fonts, was able to make me the vinyl lettering after my other friend, Diana, who served a mission in Korea like Shawn, helped me find what we are hoping to be the correct Korean translations for our Family Laws.




I love the way they turned out! And they look fantastic around the fan!!! Right in it's new home on the dining room wall!!


And just in the nick of time, too!!! I received an e-mail from my sweet hubby, who was originally supposed to be home Friday, then changed it to Thursday, and was told when I got home from picking up the vinyl tonight that he was driving straight through with a co-worker from Florida and will be home at 3 AM in the morning!!! Up went the vinyl in a flash! I must say, too, this was the easiest vinyl lettering I have ever put up. Maybe because it was bigger, I don't know. But thank you, Diana & Mandi!!! And, Happy Valentine's Day, Shawn!!!

6 comments:

kg said...

I like it Hope!

Mandi said...

It turned out great!! I love the way you placed the words around the fan!

The Mad Planter, LLC - Lorrin Wagner said...

Wow, that turned out great! I liked the first mural but the new walls are so clean and crisp, I LOVE the colors with the black. They all pop off the wall. So beautiful, I might have to copy the color scheme from you:)



also, I loved the trip pictures but never got them all to download in time to actually comment. It looked like a ton of fun and so great to see it all before it is gone!

Karen said...

It is always fun to play around with our homes. I have so many schemes coming up. Just waiting for the weather. Looks good.

Trish said...

I think it is absolutely fabulous!!!! Great job, Hope!

Anonymous said...

It turned out great!

Blog Archive

Followers

Crafty Blog!!!!

Vote For A Cure

Photobucket

Help Fight Breast Cancer by Clicking!!

The Breast Cancer Site

 

Our Forever Family | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates