Once again, there is a chronological post missing here because Shawn was the photographer and tourist while we (myself, Meghann and all the kids) went to the Science Museum in Boston. So he will share that post when he gets home as well.
The morning we left Boston was bittersweet for us all. It had been SOOOOO LOOOOOOONG since we had seen Jared, Meghann and the kids. We only had a few short days with them during this visit. And they were enjoyable, heartfelt days. We are missing them incredibly right now. BUT, it had been a long road trip at this point, and we were ALL very ready to get home and into our own beds. We had to say goodbye. (I still need to figure out how to hide the remote to the camera better.)


Our attempt at photographing all of the cousins together was unsuccessful. But, no one can say we didn't try!


These two had a great time together. It has been way too long!!

Uncle Shawn LOVES his niece, Sophia!!! She has an incredible personality!!!

Meg & Me! She is the Guru of knitting!!! I love her like crazy. We put off seeing each other for so long our phone communications even seemed to stop. I hope we get to see everyone again soon!!!


At our first rest stop/fuel up we couldn't help but notice the Dunkin Donuts. I don't know how long it has been since my last Dunkin Donut! We couldn't pass it up!!! Skylah loved every last crumb!!

Some tunnel fun with the camera! We made the trip as interesting as possible for the kids so we could have a peaceful drive. So, we kept a tradition had since I was a little girl... hold your breath going through the tunnel.

Heading up to Boston we had to drive through Manhattan. Not my favorite thing to do as I am a small country girl at heart!! Whatever made us think that driving through NY to get to Lady Liberty would be a good idea??? It actually wasn't that bad. We saw some exciting stuff as soon as we got there.

Who'd have thought you would see an Air Craft Carrier with a Stealth flier on it on a road trip??

We just laughed when we looked out the window one second and everything is "normal", but the next thing we know.... we are surrounded by yellow taxi cabs!!!

Our guides were EXTREMELY useful guiding us to the statue!!! (You can even find the evidence of donuts still lurking about.)

Okay, Shawn took the wise precaution of NOT telling me what exactly the Holland Tunnel was. For those who don't know, I am slightly claustrophobic. As I looked at the map while were driving through this seemingly endless tunnel, I realized it wasn't even on the map. According to our GPS, we were in the middle of a river. Hmmmm.

As soon as daylight found us on the other side we noticed we were a lot closer to Lady Liberty!!

Shall we get out of the car and ride a ferry out to see her?? I think we shall!! (This trip was full of firsts for everyone!!!)

I think the kids were a little oblivious at first as to the reasons of our sitting on the water motionless for 15 minutes.

But then, we started to move!

Our New York crowd on the ferry was quite friendly!

Ellis Island was the first stop from the ferry. We opted to stay on the ferry and head straight for the statue. Maybe when the kids are older and can appreciate the incredible history behind this structure.



Moving onward to the big green lady, we noticed the beautiful city skyline.

And then... there she was! We couldn't help ourselves. We were in aw of this beautiful creation the entire time!


We even asked the kids to take a picture. That opened a can of worms!! "I want to now!!!" "No! Me!! It's my turn!!" "Mommy, pleeeeeeaaaaaase can I take another picture?!?!" It actually wasn't too bad. A little annoying, but not that bad!

Some other tourists offered a trade... they take our picture as an entire family if we do the same for them. I love when people are sweet enough to do this!




The wind picked up as soon as the clouds uncovered the brilliant sun. Good thing we were heading back to the docks. (We decided to stay on the ferry at the statue as well. Since we were all wanting to get back home and the fact that the next ferry wasn't for another 40 minutes.)


Shawn found a seagull he became infatuated with as it surfed the wind off the ferry, and fed off the fish stirred up in the wake.



Good Bye, New York! It was a short, but fun visit!!!

Further down the road South we stopped at Valley Forge. (You have to stop and take a break along the way. It really lightens the load!) We thoroughly enjoyed the auto tour and museum part of this visit. Although, I think I ruined a bit of the fun for Shawn because I was on a one-track mind at that point.... "Get me home!!!" Sorry, Shawn.

We discovered our own little family of Georges inside the museum!! First there was Zach George...

Then we found a Skylah George...

A smiling Ranoah George....

And even a Daddy George!

We also found cannons! We love cannons! Especially Revolutionary War cannons!!

Some replicas of the huts that the soldiers stayed in during the hard winter in Valley Forge were there as well.


The first was an example of what the soldiers would have to sleep and try to stay warm in.


The second was an example of the slightly better living style for the officers.

They seemed cramped, but I am sure they were a lot better than cloth tents in the wet snow!






Driving on the Auto Tour we were detoured away from General Washington's quarters. But, we eventually found our way to it. I grabbed a quick snap of it as we turned around.

After Valley Forge we found yet another tunnel to drive through.

Towards the end of our travels on day one of two heading home, we were completely exhausted. I wanted to stop. We were only about 40 miles or so from Hilary's house for sleep. As we rounded the curve on the highway, we happened upon an amazing sight for sore eyes!! The Washington DC Temple! It was a glorious sight to behold. If I hadn't been so droopy-eyed we would have stopped to see it up close. But, we shall be going again, no doubt. And next time we will have to take in a session here!!

Absolutely beautiful and serene it is in Virginia, Pennsylvania, Deleware, Massechusettes.... everywhere we went it was breathtaking!!

Riding off into the sunset towards Hilary and Mike's to sleep before heading the rest of the way home. We weren't able to actually see them at this sleep stop, as they most likely passed us sometime on the highway heading up to Pennsylvania to meet a friend and got back long after Shawn and I decided it was time to get some sleep. We would have woken them to say goodbye, except it was very early. Besides, it would have been a tearfest for a couple people, including myself. Hilary and I almost never got along when we were younger. But I am incredibly grateful for our relationship right now, and for the time we got to share together! I am even more grateful that she and her sweet husband live so much closer now!! (I'd much rather drive 11 1/2 hours than 24!!!) Until next time, Hilary & Mike!! (But, next time, maybe we should meet here, instead!!!)
3 comments:
I cannot believe all the amazing things you guys were able to see and do. I have thorouhly enjoyed seeing all of your trip pictures! I love that someone did the family picture swap with you and now you have a great family picture in front of the statue of liberty. Fun, fun memories!
Wow, what a fun trip, seriously. I love the bunk bed pictures. :) I wonder if I could some of those for my boys? They all share one room and are pretty cramped in there! I'm glad you got to hang out with your sis in law. I love family!
What a fun trip! Great pictures, too!
I'll tell you the trick to hiding the remote, too...
Set the camera on Timer AND remote. So you click the remote, and by the time you hide it, it takes the picture. Ta-DA!!!
Hahaha... Loved having you! I got Zach's sweet letter yesterday. It made my day!!!
We'll do it again sometime.
Post a Comment