Sunday, June 14, 2009

Stuck in Traffic in Florida

Yes, while we were on our Sunday excursion to see some Manatees we got stuck on the Indian River highway crossing. In the car we had one water bottle, a large can of mixed nuts from the trip down and some coloring paper and pencils. Of course, one of the first things from their mouths as soon as the traffic comes to it's hault???? "Mom. I'm hungry."


Passing handfuls of salty peanuts around the car to children didn't sound secure in any way. So, I stumbled in my mind for something to do for them.


Can you guess what I did??


Look closely at what they are holding. Yes, Oragami saved the day! Thanks to all those years of folding "Paper Mouths" during church, I made paper cups for the kids to hold their snacks in. What a lifesaver! Traffic soon resumed, as did we to our destination...

Those who know me well know my love for all things Marine! No, not soldiers... although my hubby was Army ROTC when I met him... I do love a man in Uniform! Anyways!!!! No, I love Ocean life.

One of our peaceful (and free) trips there was a visit to Manatee Lookout. It is located on the Wildlife Preserve where NASA is located. They have other trails to go on around the area as well.


We enjoyed a peaceful, yet mosquitoe filled walk through a tropical environment. The best part was the vivid greens all around us, the winding vines and tree trunks and the quiet surroundings!






When we arrived at the lookout, we were so excited! These creatures are unique, quiet, humble, intimate, loving. They are beautiful! The water was a little murky, but it was still fun to be there. We stood, looking over the rail for almost half an hour. I never saw my kids so enthrawled in anything, and so peaceful, besides a new movie!









I didn't want to leave this spot. I will return here again to visit the mommas and babies we saw. And I am sure the pappas were in there as well. This was awesome though!!

3 comments:

Lisha said...

That's awesome! My kids would love this, too.

kg said...

What a FUN trip!!! I would sit and watch the manatee all day....

Stella said...

Wow! Looks like a blast! I am so happy you guys get to do fun stuff like that.

Blog Archive

Followers

Crafty Blog!!!!

Vote For A Cure

Photobucket

Help Fight Breast Cancer by Clicking!!

The Breast Cancer Site

 

Our Forever Family | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates