Our Sumer Journey (VERY Picture Heavy)
This was too good to pass up. I HATE driving in the rain. This storm knew it! It headed in with a laugh. This is the edge about to hover over us. Crazy!!!
And this is a truckload of tires that are wider than Zach is tall. In fact, I am not sure if the minivan could outdo these in size. It was gigantic.
Now to make you all jealous again!! These are just a small portion of the potatoes that came from our garden. Shawn dug them all up and we brought them with us to share. Along with our garden fresh green beans and onions as well, we tossed in some chicken tenders, olive oil, basil, salt and pepper, and had this for lunch...
We quite literally tossed it together in a huge bag so we could just get all the flavors together real well. Then we poured it into two roasting pans and baked. Yummy!!!
Shawn, Aunt D and the kiddos went out to do some fishing. I just wasn't up to it this round. Maybe next time!
We left Illinois then headed out early towards Missouri, where we began our Trails Journey. Traveling through Missouri and Nebraska, we were able to visit Independence, Fort Laramie, Pony Express Stops, Chimney Rock, Winter Quarters, Independence Rock and catch some glimpses of some wild horses. (Forgive me, a lot of this is out of order.)This was at a Church museum that was close to Independence. Little did the kids know what was lying in store a couple days later.
If you ever have a chance to visit Independence, I highly recommend the site of the jail where the Prophet Joseph and others were held and inspiration came in these Latter-Days. What an amazing place. They have built a structure around the remains so they won't deteriorate anymore, and rebuilt a lot of it to show what it would have appeared to look like at that time.
However, this was a fun place to visit since they had a kids activity where they had to answer questions in a booklet about things around the Fort, including asking three dressed characters something about the fort. In the end they received a badge. That made it more interesting for them.
Along our trip we saw these Wagon Wheel Ruts. You can see where the wheels basically had to option but to move along through the wheel carved road.
The kids and I are sitting at the top so you can have some perspective on how long this thing was. As one tour guide informed us, these ruts use to be deeper... with all the natural deterioration of the land they have lost a small amount of form. But, Wow!
I don't know if this tree was significant in any way, but it stood out to me, and I really liked its form. I actually thought... If trees could talk...
Which wasn't a bad thing. We all had a little fun before we had to set up camp for the night.
This is a house. This is a house on wheels. Any questions? (Oh, and this was right before the highway merged from three lanes to two. So both lanes had a house in front of them. However, the other lane was full of the cars thinking, "What is this house doing moving faster and faster towards us???"
We trekked at Martin's Cove with a handcart the day before, camped out, and were now off to start our 4 mile handcart trek.
In the beginning... the children were happily moving along.
First big mud puddle. Shawn wanted me to jump ahead and take pictures of him running for it. The kids thought that was a hit!
Waiting for a large group to move along, our new friends took a picture of us.
Going in front to take another mud rushing picture, both of my feet slipped out from under me upon landing. Everything except my behind were in the mud. How did I manage that?!
We arrived in Utah for a quick overnight stay with my sister, Holly, her family and my brother, Sherm. The next day we picked up the Oregon Trail again to head to... Oregon! Along the way we couldn't help but make a couple detours. Our first stop was the Oregon Trail museum in Bakers City.


Zach didn't think it was very fair that Daddy helped Skylah finish hers. But he still put a good effort into it.
After driving all that way, this is the only buffalo I saw. Yes, it is stuffed. I don't care. I can say I have seen a buffalo.

In the apparel room where the kids got to try on Pioneer clothing. Cousin Aileena stood in with her adopted Pioneer family for a quick photo.
I LOVE that they had this there. With a little modern photo software touchup we had ourselves a great antique photo.

Devin's hat cracks me up every time!!! I love this picture!! Isn't my little nephew, Jens, so adorable?!?!

Holly missed out on this photo op because it was VERY HOT. Quick, everyone, SMILE. Now get into the car and start up the AC!!
As we got closer to Portland, we couldn't resist the call of the Multnoma Falls!! We hiked the winding trail and got up about halfway, took some pictures, and then our deep desire to get to our destinations hit in. Back on the road, we headed further in and then split paths to get to our seperate destinations.

Holly and Devin looked so romantic as they winded up the trail. I wish I had a better camer here to really capture it.
Skylah and Ranoah couldn't get enough of their Aunt Heather. They loved the hugs and piggy-back-rides!

Zach and Aileena are inseperable when we visit. They are so close in age and I am so grateful they are cousins!! They get along so well.
Can't you see us?! We are standing on the bridge. What a great view!!
Don't you just love the fashionable brace I have been wearing in all these photos. I am trying to start a trend, but no one is catching on.
We arrived at Papa's and Nana's and we enjoyed celebrating the 4th of July, BBQ, Chalk Drawing and Enchanted Forest...
Ranoah was still grounded from any pigment craft items from her little episode with the ballpoint and the condo chair. So, she instructed Nana as to what she should draw in the driveway.

Nana has called to say that these pictures are still in the driveway. They love to look at them and think about the fun they had with the grandkids!
Ranoah took a picture of Nana's Disney room. This is just a small portion of the collection. I mean small portion. They LOVED being there, Papa & Nana!! And so did we!!! Can't wait to see you in a couple months!!!

Great Grandpa Moore and Zach. I can't remember how long Zach just layed in his lap and cuddled. He is such a teddybear.

Great Grandma Moore loved having all the kids around. She smiled so big as they played all around her.
Great Grandma crochets, knits, quilts... you name it. She crocheted/knitted dresses for all sorts of dolls and the kids had to get them out to play.
At Enchanted Forest, the kids got to partake in some rides and amazing little miniature houses from fairytales.
Don't you wish they made these for the timeout corner?? I know that is a bad thought, but seriously, girls!!
This was the Crazy House. It made me queezey just looking at the inside, let alone walk through it.

More cuddle time with Aunt Heather and Ranoah.
Zach and Aileena... who else?
This slide was awesome! I think each of us rode this at least once. Even Papa and Nana!

Shawn, Papa and Skylah peaking out the holes in the cave walls.
Skylah and Aileena were the only ones who chose this ride. They loved it. Skylah was thrilled!!
Bumper Boats!! Kids Only?!?! Aw, Man! I want a turn. That is NO FAIR!!!! It looked like so much fun!
After Enchanted Forest we had fun celebrating some time with Uncle Heath and (just recently) Aunt Jeny at their wedding! It was so much fun, and wonderful to see the whole family (minus a couple people that we were thinking of while they were absent from the festivities).
All of us thought Heath looked just like late Great Uncle Parley. We have all only seen one picture of him from long ago, but this image here was amazing!!
Okay, you try to fit everyone in the picture and get them all to smile and look in the same direction when there is so much going on. Plus, someone had already mentioned "cake" and the kids wanted nothing to do with pictures!
My Big Brothers. It was so fun seeing them together like this.
Heidi all dressed up for the special occasion. I think she outdressed every person there. I was told it was casual, Heidi! But you still look amazing!!
I still can't get over how happy Heath and Jeny look together. And to top it off, here is Aileena with her Uncle Heath and "New" Aunt Jeny.
My adorable nephew, Jens!! I love this guy!!
It was great! The sky was full of overcast, slight breeze, not too hot. What a great day!!
This was one of several times Ranoah ran up and hugged "My New Aunt Jeny!!!!"This is The Witness Tree at the Witness Tree Vinyard where the wedding and reception took place. Simply beautiful!!
Our Journey took a Detour (Kleenex time)...
On the 4th of July, we had received word from back home that Mom was ill and in the hospital. Dad said we should just continue to enjoy ourselves. We enjoyed spending time together, and I think the concern we all shared for Mom helped us to connect in ways that we hadn't done in years. On the 6th, Mom took a turn for worse and so we hopped into our cars to hightale it home to see her. Shawn and Devin (Holly's sweetheart) were the overnight drivers and we had just switched after they had driven about 5 hours. On the highway, we received a phonecall from Dad. Since it was 2:30am our time, we knew it had to be important. It was devistating. To be completely honest, I felt like my heart had dropped right from my chest as I sunk to the ground and cried with my siblings. My mom passed away on July 7th, 2008.
I am glad I took a picture of this spot. It may be an ordinary rest stop on the highway to most, but now this small area of flowers and grass holds a dear, comforting place in my heart. This was where we were able to get out, rest for a few minutes, ponder, hug some more and then pray together as a family. Gathered in a tight circle, most of us (some were on there way to Alabama via other forms of transport) held hands and prayed for strength, comfort, peace of mind... I could feel the wonderful Spirit with us, holding our hands in comfort for each of us.We had to get back on the road. We were all even more determined to get to Alabama for Dad (and Mom). Leaving Portland, OR on Sunday night, we arrived in Alabama at our destination at 12:30am on Tuesday (well, Wednesday technically).
The next week, with all of my siblings, and a couple new ones, we cried, laughed, yelled, screamed, danced, sang Karaokee... we enjoyed the time we had with each other which is so rare. It was difficult to say Goodbye. But I must say this has been one of the best experiences overall for our entire family. In order to grow, we must learn, to learn we must live, after we live we leave our mortal bodies and ponder our learning and growing, and reconnect with those who have passed on before us.
Our Journey was not what we had planned. But if life happened according to plan, we would never learn. I am thankful for my learning experiences, my growth and my life. I am thankful to be able to spend it with so many loved ones... as our journey continues...
Which brings me to this... You can put away the Kleenex now. I didn't want to leave you all with swollen teary eyes.
While on the quiet roads between Church Historical Sites, our Tom Tom (GPS guide, Mandy) took us onto this~
You have to know my sweet, charming husband to see where this is going. In case you don't know him that well, now you will. We ended up on one of the most desireable highways known to MAN...
(HE MADE ME DO IT!!!!) We were both cracking up at this point. No one around, we had to stop on the side of the road to snap some photos.
"D, who knew?"
(In case you don't love chick flicks like I do, this is from 'Now and Then'.)






8 comments:
I LOVE PICTURE HEAVY!
I'm glad you finally got the whole adventure back home. And I love the photo of you with the DD!!! I sure do miss you guys!
Oh! I forgot to send Nevan's thank you card home with your Dad. I've still got it! I'll get it to you eventually. :0)
That is awesome! I am sure it was nice to have that time together and see all those awesome sites and have such fond memories caught on camera!
Love the house on wheels! Funny!
Hope, I loved all the pictures and seeing your trip through all those historical sights. I am sorry for your loss. Again, I wish I'd had a chance to get to know your mom. She seemed like an amazing lady!
(((HUGS)))!!!!!
Hope, Wow, I wasn't ready for that. I feel like I have been on a roller coaster. What an amazing summer. I loved all the photos, and your narative on your experence with your family and Mom really did send me for the kleenex box. I am so impressed that you are able to cope so well. I don't know what people do with out the gospel, I am glad you have so much support too.
What great memories. I still remember my parents taking us to so many of the church historical sites. I'm sorry it had to end like it did, but glad that you and your family are doing well and growing from your trial. It would have been fun to see you. Maybe next time you are up this way.
Enchanted Forest! I grew up going at least once a summer!! I love Oregon and enjoyed all your pics.
wow, what a summer. One that was greatly documented and not to be forgetten. I loved all of the pics and the great stories of all the stops. So sorry I missed the service of your mom, I had to send Tom and and the kids, it was good to hear from all of you. You amaze me...
Hey you visited my favorite place as a kid (The Enchanted Forest)! I can't believe how grown up the kids are looking these days.
Post a Comment