Monday, March 31, 2008

Taste the Colors of the Rainbow

What do these...

and these...

have in common???
Skittle Draw Saturday Chores!! Shawn had to go to all-day Scout training and I wanted to get Saturday cleaning done in a pinch without all the aggravation of yelling and screaming and pinching and kicking and biting... the kids do some horrid things, too. So, we ingeniously invented the Skittle Draw Chores!
Step 1~
Break down all big chores into little tasks: Instead of "Family Room", a-shoes into basket; b-toys put away; c-books on shelves, etc. Write these little tasks on scratch paper and put into shiny metal bowl (okay, any container will do, but they were so excited about the big silver bowl).
Step 2~
Team younger siblings with an older sibling who can team up and encourage them to work. (Skylah will work if encouraged properly. Ranoah and her just goof off, so Zach and Skylah made a great team.)
Step 3~
Have the kids begin:
RULES:
I Draw one chore at a time.
II Finish that chore to get one (or two, as the difficulty of jobs fluctuates) Skittle, then move on to the next.
III Once entire bowl is empty (which means jobs are done) then each child who participated happily may chose from the Treasure Box (What?!?! You don't have a treasure box?!?!?! You must fill a container with cheap party favors and bribe kids constantly... MUST!!!).
IV Mom may happily vacuum all the floors now that all the toys, shoes, books, magazines, apple cores, banana peels... (Don't tell me you don't have these all over your house either!! What are you all?? Clean freaks?!?!) without tripping over anything.
V Entire family is happy and may enjoy a happy Saturday and a clean Sunday!!
Happy Bribing.... I mean, cleaning!!!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!!!! I am SERIOUSLY stealing this....very, very soon.

Trish said...

What a brilliant, creative Mom you are, Hope! I love this idea! I have chore charts for the kids... but they don't get anything for getting them done! You're the nice Mom. I'm the mean Mom that just takes away privileges if things aren't done! I like your ways better!

hope said...

I hope your family enjoys it, Jen! The kids actually had fun with it, and said they want to do it again. I can't wait until next Saturday!

Trish,
I am not the nice mommy, although this past year has been an improvement since making the goal last year to not yell as much. It helps to look at the portrait of the Savior that hangs in the center of our house and actually have it embedded in my mind that his facial expression changes every time I pass it, according to how pleased or displeased He may be with me... No joke, some days I must look at the portrait to make myself be reminded of how He would want me to act with His children.

Lisha said...

GREAT IDEA!!! Nate works Saturdays, so chores are such a hassle! I'm so using this idea! Thanks for sharing!

Mandi said...

LOVE this idea! I think Parker is too young to really understand this just yet, but I am going to try this out with Carsen as soon as I can get to the store to buy some skittles! Oh and the treasure box! What a fantastic idea!

Meghann said...

How fun! Do you think I could use this to bribe Jared to do chores? LOL! Oh and the treasure box idea.....must definitely start doing that!!

hope said...

No problem, Lisha!! Shawn has been gone a lot on Saturdays lately and this was the first time he was able to come home and fully appreciate a happy wife, happy kids and a clean home!
Mandi,
Yes, the younger kids have a harder time with the chore thing, but Skylah actually did a lot of the stuff with Zach as he sang the immortalized "Clean-up" song with her.
Hey Meg! Hmmm, a husband treasure box... I would put coupons for back rubs inside!! Sophia would probably love this!

Emily said...

Good idea Hope! LOVE IT!

Jessica M said...

Fun idea! Most importantly, things get done. Great thinking to make the chores specific, I think kids are generally lost on things like "clean your room."

Kendra@My Insanity said...

Great idea! I may try this one. I'm all for bribing if it works and keeps the peace!

Bama Holcomb Family said...

Thanks, Em!

Jessica,
COmpletely agreed. I know when I ask Skylah to do somehting I need to tell her specifically or she just feels completely overwhelmed.

Kendra,
Anything to help keep this house a home!!

Dahnelle said...

oooh, yeah. Another idea to try to keep the kids rooms bearable!! Fantastic idea, Hope!!

P.S.-I've gotten TDC to agree to a creative dance class (for younger kids) next year. Only if enough people sign up, though. So go sign up!!!

***LIZ*** said...

Hope, you are a girl after my own heart. I love the positive insentives for making good choices... ok or bribery. Isn't it wonderful to have a clean house?

***LIZ*** said...

So I just saw your comment on Lorrins blog, which brother is getting married? Did I miss that somewhere, and when are your parents moving, how exciting for you.

danakat said...

You are a genius!
Thanks for the idea!!

Bama Holcomb Family said...

Dahnelle,
I will definitely sign up. I asked them about it last week and they said they had just discussed it and I needed to wait until later this month. LOL

Liz,
Heath is getting married! Would you believe it?!?! About time!

Dana,
Thanks! And, you are welcome!

Blog Archive

Followers

Crafty Blog!!!!

Vote For A Cure

Photobucket

Help Fight Breast Cancer by Clicking!!

The Breast Cancer Site

 

Our Forever Family | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates