Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Progress?

I know, I know.... More and more people are moving to different locations when they get a new job, graduate from college, have a family, etc., etc., etc. I really think there are better places to build houses at, than in the forest. This is not just because this is happening in the forest behind my house. This is because I know there are fewer trees in this world than there needs to be, and I see it all around me, and now I see it behind my back fence as well... They call it growth & PROGRESS.










I could be wrong, but it seems to me like the only thing that is growing, is the amount of dirt they are bringing in. In another year or so, there will probably be three big houses, all behind our fence. Yes, that is growth for the community. Do you know who use to live where Mr & Mrs Smith are moving? Deer, foxes, owls, frogs, cardinals, blue jays, hawks... all use to live here. Kind of makes you think twice.

On a sweeter note, despite all the tractors behind our house and the constant disappearing trees and animals, we decided to bake today. But, first, we had to grind our wheat to make some flour!!

First, we brought out our wheat grinder (thanks again, Nana!!)


This is what our container filled with after all our labor!! (We LOVE fresh wheat flour.... the kids always grab a pinch of it to make sure it tastes "Fresh"!)


And this is what we enjoyed eating after our wheat was ground up, our Zucchini & Squash were grated, and all our ingredients were mixed together and baked. It was yummy!! We also made some Peanut Butter-Oatmeal-Jam bars that were awesome!! That's my kind of PROGRESS!

4 comments:

Heather said...

Yum, I want some!

***LIZ*** said...

Hope, you are a homemaking delight! I am in awe of your natural cooking and baking. I am trying to reach your status, keep the ideas coming, so I can try to catch up.

Bama Holcomb Family said...

It is so easy to make, Heather! Of course I had to spiff it up a bit since I used fresh wheat flour. So I added some Vanilla Yogurt and some extra Baking Powder. Now it holds together like a cake!

Thanks, Liz. Although, I also have plenty of room for growth. Last night I made another "Fridge Casserole" like I had mentioned before. The first two times were a success with combining leftovers in a pan and baking them. Last night, not so good. Lets just say, in my effort to save the leftovers, I made a dish that would have sat in the fridge for a few months, had I not thrown the rest of it in the garbage after the kids went to bed.

Emily said...

I remember grinding wheat with my mom and dad to make flour for baking. Ususally we had fresh bread or the sort. I remember the wheat being vaccuum packed and grinding stuff that was older than I was which gave me the creeps because it was like I was eating bread that was around before I was born... I think they still have honey that is as old as I am, but honey keeps well... it's pretty crystalized and brown. Jeff refuses to eat it. I use to throw it in the microwave to liquify it. It was honey, but stronger... tastier.

Blog Archive

Followers

Crafty Blog!!!!

Vote For A Cure

Photobucket

Help Fight Breast Cancer by Clicking!!

The Breast Cancer Site

 

Our Forever Family | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates