It Clicked!!
Okay, not to rat on men or anything, but this is something that I think many just do NOT understand sometimes.... And tonight, it clicked in my hubby!!!
We were on our way away from one destination, trying to figure out where to go next. (It is vacation, but we were not planning on vacationing today since Shawn was supposed to be at work after the shuttle was supposed to launch.) As I made my suggestions, they were blown off (in a way) while Shawn was trying to negotiate terms with Zach on something.
So, we arrived at our Florida home, and we all got out of the car and headed up to the condo. When we got in, Shawn sat down and got on the computer. I sat down, gave an annoyed sigh (as some of us women do..... right??), and just put my feet up. He caught on to the annoyed sigh instantly and asked if I was annoyed because we were home? Well, yes!
But I asked you what you wanted to do.
.....
And I answered several times as we passed those points on our drive home. "Oh! I thought you were just pointing those places out." "Yes, pointing to them and saying that I wanted to go there."
So, what did you want to do?
Just relax somewhere and do something.
Sitting quietly at home isn't relaxing??
(Okay, for those awesome homemakers out there, you might appreciate this.)
Noooooo. Is sitting in your cubicle at work relaxing???
Okay, I see your point.
IT CLICKED!!!!!!
Now, I love to sit on my bed or couch or rocker and read or write or just meditate. But, seriously, there is usually something around me, hounding me silently to get it done. Dishes, laundry, bills, vacuuming, crafts that need done... Sometimes it is nice not to look at the things that remind you that there is something to be done.... even if it is just for an hour or so.
He understood what I meant. We have met yet another crossroad of understanding and listening. Maybe I will get more dates that do not include a rented movie and a cheesecake now! (I love you, honey. Really I do.)






6 comments:
LOVE it! You're awesome.
Have a fantastic trip!
Life is SO much better when they JUST get it! :) Way to go both of you for great communication! ;)
In defense of men everywhere - just say what you mean! Is it that hard?
I once heard a comedian say this and I swear it's true - with my experience with six women in the house I see it all the time. A woman wil say, "The baby stinks." which really means "Please change the diaper."
My girls will say "I can't open this." instead of "Dad, will you please open this for me."
Oh the drama... :-)
Okay, Bill. I do hear what you are saying. I know there are many times I speak in Female Code, hoping my sweet husband will get it. But, I think I speak clearly with him (at least half of the time), and in this case there was no beating around the bush. I was so annoyed I just came out and said it, which is what you have to do with him because he is so straight-forward and honest to others... otherwise known as blunt. I need to take this cue from him more often.
Totally on the girls side here! I think the beating around the bush is our way of "gently nudging" instead being a nag. Doesn't always work, but neither does nagging! Loved this post!
Too funny. I am still waiting for you know who to get it.
Post a Comment