Monday, April 13, 2009

Hare or No Hair?... That is the Question!!



Intriguing, isn't it?? You are just dieing to find out what the title is about. I know. Crazy isn't it? The females desire to know things! It makes me laugh sometimes, how I just want to know more about something I hear or see. Just because. Weird, huh?!


In the past I have fought myself on how I would like to celebrate Easter with my family. I remember mornings of little homemade baskets lined up, full of goodies from the Easter Bunny. Always including a cadberry egg, jelly beans, a Russell Stover's egg... and more. Occasionally a new pair of Sunday shoes would accompany the basket as well. We would make ourselves sick from the Peeps and marshmallow peanuts.






Easter was always a fun Holiday. And, even though I knew what it was celebrated for, it never really stood out to me. Such an important event in the history of this world, and I remember the disgusting sugary Peeps more. Don't get me wrong, I know what Easter is about, and I remember learning it at home and Church. I remember it as a special fun holiday with my family. I just remember more of the sugary sweets standing out more so than the real purpose. And that is what I want to avoid right now.

And so, I have always thought so long and hard about what I can do to make it a meaningful holiday for my kids. Not so commercialized. But still fun. I think I took most of the fun out of last year by downplaying it a lot! The kids went to church hearing about all the fun stuff their friends got from the Easter Bunny. And what did my kids get?? Homemade candy melt candies (not the greatest in my opinion) and a large portrait of the Savior to hang in their bedrooms. I know they really enjoyed the portraits. Each one was different and unique to the child which it was given. But where was the excitement?? We didn't even really have an Easter Dinner.






My oldest was almost 8, and I hadn't set a single Easter Tradition. Except that of our dozen plastic Resurrection Eggs, which the kids do love. But I don't think we even did those. Nor did we dye eggs. Yes, it was a sad year.



This year was different. I built up a little excitement about the Easter Bunny. We even left a carrot with a ribbon tied around it, with a side of dressing for the dear rabbit. When the kids awoke, they saw a small basket for each of them. Full of candy-filled plastic eggs, Reese's Pieces carrots, a chocolate bunny, a little toy to play with outside and then something special... A gift for church. The girls got pink scripture bags, fully loaded. And Zach got his first real tie, complete with Captain Moroni on it.



The night before Easter we read the Children's illustrated New Testament chapter on the Crucifiction and then the Resurrection. They were so excited. We watched movies in the morning, between each of them getting ready for church, about our Savior and His teachings on Prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane.

After Church we had our own little Easter Egg hunt, including our hand-dyed eggs and the Resurrection eggs from years prior. Then we had the Resurrection story with the eggs and enjoyed a bit of lunch.




Before dinner with Grandma, we decided to partake in some outside playtime to enjoy the beautiful Easter weather. What fun!!!



Bubbles!!!!






















Rocket Balloons!!!



























Sweet faces!!!









It was so much fun!!!



I am grateful most of all for the sweet prayer before bed from one of the kids... Ranoah thanked our Father in Heaven for Jesus' sacrifice and the resurrection... Maybe we have been doing something right!!
At least most of the time.... Easter Morning at 8am (approximately 30 minutes prior to leaving for Church) I left the scissors out in the wrong spot (in case you hadn't noticed by now)... again. At least it isn't as bad as it was 2 years ago...


Or have you all forgotten???

July 2007!!! Buzzing her entire top of her head with scissors.

This time she just did the bangs instead of the entire crown of her head. What is it with these girls lately??? Why can't they leave well enough alone?!?!

3 comments:

Karen said...

What a sweet post. I think you had a perfect Easter too. I appericate all the hair cut stories and pictures. It is nice to know I am not alone. Have a great week.

kg said...

Love the pink Dogwood and all the bubble pics! What a great day!

Heather said...

Hope, you are doing it just right. Keep up the good work. My kids got rocket balloons too. Pu reaster bunny shops at the same store.

Blog Archive

Followers

Crafty Blog!!!!

Vote For A Cure

Photobucket

Help Fight Breast Cancer by Clicking!!

The Breast Cancer Site

 

Our Forever Family | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates